Wondrex super float

The Hardy Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Wondrex super float

Post by Harry H »

Well I have eventually got round to christening my Hardy wondrex this afternoon. Despite not having the best reputation l was quite impressed with the cane,it was very steely and easily coped with some Carp and Tench that came my way. Hopefully one day I will get to catch my first Barbel with it.

Sorry about the pictures couldn't really see much with the sunshine.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Wondrex super float

Post by Marc »

I'm not so sure about a poor reputation, the price of them has shot up over the past few years and mine is of extremely high quality. The glue used on them seems to be a mixture of mithril and wolverines bones. I have the Wondrex float rod; It's served me with distinction and like yours has head everything on it from minnow to carp.

I keep looking out for others to add to my collection, but whether it's the hardy name or that people are starting to recognise the quality, they are getting a bit rich for my blood.

A fine haul, good luck on your barbus. :Hat:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Have Hardy's ever produced a duff rod? That looks lovely H. :Hat:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Is that a Mitre-Hardy rod - and if so, is it the came company as Hardy - or a separate one??
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The rumour was that Mitre-Hardy rods were made from the poorer quality built cane that didn't quite match up to Hardy quality.
If that were the case I think they'd have been named Mitre rods and the Hardy name kept well out of it.......

More likely it was an attempt by Hardy to get a toe-hold in the 'economy market' and still use their famous name, I feel.

I've never heard anyone say that they fished these rods and found fault or that they failed any more than any other make.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I was led to understand that they were a good barbel rod - but chucking big feeders on the Wye - no!

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

I have the wondrex restored by AJ Davis which I'm glad I've kept hold of. Great all rounder. I believe that the super float was slightly sturdier? There's also one called the woldrex. They seem very very well made to me

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Wagtail wrote:Is that a Mitre-Hardy rod - and if so, is it the came company as Hardy - or a separate one??
It is indeed a Mitre -Hardy the only thing wrong with it when it came to me was rusty inters. It also had another tip for ledgering but the cane was a different colour as well as the whippings but not a bad idea so if a suitable piece comes along :eyebrow:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have got one and in my opinion it is very well made and has caught me some decent chub and barbell.
Mark Davies

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”