Hardy coarse rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
Graeme
Minnow

Re: Hardy coarse rod

Post by Graeme »

The tip sections match perfectly and the butt ring is not large. The rod is to flexible for spinning too.

Graeme
Minnow

Post by Graeme »

The tip sections match perfectly and the butt ring is not large. The rod is to flexible for spinning too.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nice rod, more photo's would help with identification...

Edit; Sorry didn't see the other photo's, looks like a salmon rod to me.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Graeme wrote:The tip sections match perfectly and the butt ring is not large. The rod is to flexible for spinning too.

I still think it is a light spinning rod, maybe for salmon & sea trout, the tulip tip ring was often used on spinning rods, the butt ring being small may be as it is designed for use with a multiplier reel like the Hardy Elarex reel

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I am inclined to agree with Pafpuff.
The reel fittings and long parallel handle don't look like typical for a fly rod.
If it's not a spinning rod, it may be a salmon rod deigned for worming or prawning? it would explain the two different tips.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A bit of a fossick through the 1939 "Hardy Angler's Guide" threw up this information which, I hope, may be of help.

There's an article on 'Using the 'Elarex. A Quadruple Multiplying Casting Reel,' which was introduced in 1937. The illustrations appear to show a rod very similar to yours ... the shape of the handle and the screw reel fittings being identical.

Image Image

Further fossicking came up with the only rod which matches the description you gave, down to the 28 inch handle. I'm no expert, but I'd suggest that this is fairly close to the rod you have, if not the actual rod ... the ' "Murdoch" Celebrated Spinning Rod for Salmon, Mahseer, Pike, etc.'

The only difference seems to be the butt end which on the 'Murdoch' is described as a 'screw in rubber button' and yours has an ' "L.R.H." Special Shaped Rubber Button' ...

... but the only similar rod I can find with 2 tips is 'The "L.R.H." Salmon Fly Rod' ... but this has a 26.5 inch handle ... and that only came in a 14ft. length.

Perhaps the owner specifically ordered a 'Murdoch' with the 'L.R.H.' button.

Please remember ... these are just suggestions from my meagre researches !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Hi Graeme
I think Mal is correct with the Murdoch rod
The Hardy catalogue I have ( 61st edition) describes the rod as having an LRH rubber button which seems to tick all the boxes
Mals description is from the 58th edition I think
Hope this helps

Graeme
Minnow

Post by Graeme »

Thanks for all the help re my Hardy rod. I have a 1923 Hardy Catalogue and have been studying the Murdoch. I think you are right.I have also contacted Hardy Bros with the rod number but as yet have had no reply. I hope to be down that way at the end of August so will pop in with the rod. In the meantime, I hope to try ou t on my coarse fishing club water. I am a member of the Bailiff's Club on Edgelaw reservoir. I do have an ABU Black Max so will try this on the rod. Best I can do in the absence of an Related. There are good pikeout and Roach in the Loch. Should be fun!

Graeme
Minnow

Post by Graeme »

Had not noticed my tablet had changed Elarex to Related. Will put this down to an age thing. I am really impressed with the everybody help and advice. Tight Lines to all.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Graeme wrote:Thanks for all the help re my Hardy rod. I have a 1923 Hardy Catalogue and have been studying the Murdoch. I think you are right.I have also contacted Hardy Bros with the rod number but as yet have had no reply. I hope to be down that way at the end of August so will pop in with the rod. In the meantime, I hope to try ou t on my coarse fishing club water. I am a member of the Bailiff's Club on Edgelaw reservoir. I do have an ABU Black Max so will try this on the rod. Best I can do in the absence of an Related. There are good pikeout and Roach in the Loch. Should be fun!
Good luck with your quest, I hope you christen the rod soon, and enjoy :Thumb:

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”