corbett cane rods

The Hardy Rods forum.
Jardine
Perch

Re: corbett cane rods

Post by Jardine »

I believe he said" She went up that evening ( Treetops was a tree house lodge) as a princess and came down the following morning as a queen? Wasn't that the same year as Richard Walkers 44 lb fish from Redmire?
The Queen is 90 today, Happy Birthday Your Majesty.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

From the "Hardy Angler's Guide 1951." Hope it helps, Sir :-

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very interesting - 2 types: No:1 and No:2! Each with 2 versions - with and without steel centres!
So a light version - medium version for No:1. And heavy and very heavy for No:2. Covers everything fro trout up to mahseer!

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I own a No 2 but there is no steel centre written on..How can I find out? Magnet?
It is a real nice allround rod which I mostly use for Carp and Pike fishing..

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Tinca Tinca wrote:I own a No 2 but there is no steel centre written on..How can I find out? Magnet?
It is a real nice allround rod which I mostly use for Carp and Pike fishing..
Are you talking about a Corbett rod, Sir ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Olly wrote:Very interesting - 2 types: No:1 and No:2! Each with 2 versions - with and without steel centres!
So a light version - medium version for No:1. And heavy and very heavy for No:2. Covers everything fro trout up to mahseer!
I think you may have misinterpreted the listing, Sir. I read it as there were only two rods.

I believe that the boxes for prices would have held only one price beside each rod ... that for the No. 1 would have held the price in the box for "Price Without Steel Centre" ... and the No. 2 the price in the box for "Price With Steel Centre."

Identifying which rod you have could be done either by weight (the No. 1 being 12oz. and the No. 2 being 14 1/2oz.) ... or the fact that the No. 1 had "Suction" ferrules ... and the No. 2 "Stud" Lockfast.

Of course ... I could be completely wrong !!! ;-)

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Yes,I surely do.It is written "The Corbett rod" on the butt section.No C12692 it has
screw reel bands,a red rubber endbutton with Hardy bros. Makers Alnwick England on it.

There stands a No2 and e few other numbers under the Palakona Trademark.It has a full
through going action and agate guides on the tip section..
The previous owner (a british author of reel books)gave a letter with it that it was
rewhipped at Hardys.....post a few pictures tomorrow...mine has Lockfast ferrules

The No2......is possibly the Patent for "Palakona"???

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The No. 2 should be the steel centred rod, Sir

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Then I will have a try with the magnet.Really interested if it is steel centred.But there is
no delamination of rust which i have on a few other Hardy rod like my Murdoch from
the 1920ies...does the steel wire really have such a great effect?I know that it is a
powerful rod,but I didnot know that it is a Mahseer rod....

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

We cane never ever be sure -- we need a time machine!

I would say there are spaces for 4 prices available as I suggested.
Corbett 1 - without steel centre £XX - with steel centre £XX.yy
Corbett 2 - "" "" "" £ZZ - " " " £ZZ,yy

That was my assumption as Hardy could do either or both - to order? Whatever it does make the collection of historic rods a challenge!!

A Mahseer rod was again an assumption as there were Mahseer in India where he spent some of his life, perhaps just used for salmon?

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”