Whats The Difference between No1 ,No2 & No3 rods

The Hardy Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Whats The Difference between No1 ,No2 & No3 rods

Post by Wallys-Cast »

This is the original handwritten script on mine, it says "The F.W.K. Wallis Avon" no mention of Alnwick or No1.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

MaggotDrowner wrote:Nobby, I thought no 1 was the lightest and no 3 the heaviest with the LRH rods??

Yes you thought right Jack, the No3 is also sometimes steel centred making it a very heavy duty rod.

Wal.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Wallys-Cast wrote:
MaggotDrowner wrote:Nobby, I thought no 1 was the lightest and no 3 the heaviest with the LRH rods??

Yes you thought right Jack, the No3 is also sometimes steel centred making it a very heavy duty rod.

Wal.

Thanks, Wal. When Nobby said it was the other way I doubted myself!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

FabianFred ,any misspelling is mine ,the script is joined-up writing and not easy to read and I probably spelt it wrong

bumble yours is too strait and legible this one is written diagonal ,like the one in Ljm183 post

well ,its arrived the guy selling it had too fetch it from his dads first ,the rod is very nice (and proper length,no short tip etc) and a bit slimmer than I imagined ,its been refurbished at some point to quite a high standard but the varnish will need redoing in some places and some of the rings are a little bent (poor handling) but all very sound ,and easily put strait .and after looking at some detailed pictures off a Tff members rod all the fittings and general look is very close (if its fake its a dame good one) i'm very happy with it ,i'd like too think its original hardy rod ,and although not in original condition/thread colours its in really great condition and only requires a touch up too be perfect .all the joints are sound & "POP" nicely

I got it on the pay later scheme through e-bay ,if it wasn't right I was going too send it back and cancel the payment

its a nice rod worthy of the price ,whether its a real hardys or not .I'll get some detailed pictures done soon too add

thank you for all your comments ,and those who contacted me been a great help as usual .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Chavender, I've just seen this thread. This is the writing on my Hardy No. 2 Avon - as yet unrestored. It simply says -

The "Avon"
No. 2

Sorry it's not a good picture but hope it helps :Hat:

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

JAA

Post by JAA »

Certainly as far as the LRH rods were concerned the LRH No 1 was lightest, with a t/c around 1lb, the '2' was more like a 2.25lb t/c and the '3' more like 4lb. The latter two, I've owned and checked myself, but like all cane rods they vary a good bit.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

There was an LRH 0 spinning rod. The LRH 1 spinning has a t/c of about 1 3/4. There were also LRH fly rods and reels.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

Image here is a late model hardy wallace avon of mine, it had a large unlined butt ring when i found it which was standard on the later rods i understand. Image

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

Chubman wrote:Image here is a late model hardy wallace avon of mine, it had a large unlined butt ring when i found it which was standard on the later rods i understand. Image
looking at the hardy archive,they stopped production of the wallace avon in 1953.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”