Repair job for someone on here please?

The Hardy Rods forum.
Julian
Salmon

Repair job for someone on here please?

Post by Julian »

Nearly a year ago I successfully bid for a nice 'carp' rod on the Bay.

It turned out to be a 10ft Hardy spinning rod which at some time in its life had been fully refurbished and then used as a carp stalking and barbel fishing rod.

Its in very nice condition but I haven't used it a lot - although I have caught some carp and tench on it. The main reason I have not used it much is that shortly after this purchase I bought a B.James S/U MKIV which I use very frequently.
I may eventually decide to sell the Hardy.

However, a couple of months back the end eye just seemed to 'fall off' one day when I was fishing.
Therefore I am asking if any of you gents on here would kindly be prepared to repair this with a new end eye on this rod for me.
I will of course pay whatever reasonable price you require to do the work plus postage, etc.
I would send the top section to you wrapped in thick bubble wrap in a solid rod tube.

( Please don't suggest I do the repair myself - I'm hopeless at that sort of thing)

Photos of the rod and broken end eye:

There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Repair job for someone on here please?

Post by OldTackle »

Beautiful rod that is. Possibly a good jewelry craftsmen can weld this for you. You still have the agatined eye. Should be possible very easy for those. I am sure there is someone near by you.

Christopher
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Have now accepted an offer to repair it from a TFF member.
Thanks,

JAA

Post by JAA »

Julian wrote:Have now accepted an offer to repair it from a TFF member.
Thanks,
That'll need silver solder Julian, 'regular' solder won't handle the strain.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

JAA wrote:
Julian wrote:Have now accepted an offer to repair it from a TFF member.
Thanks,
That'll need silver solder Julian, 'regular' solder won't handle the strain.
Thanks JAA , but its not going to be soldered, the whole tip eye will be replaced.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

FabianFred wrote:How much are you going to sell for?
Not currently for sale.
I said in my post that I may eventually sell it - if I don 't end up using it a bit more often,
If I did sell I would be looking for more than £200.

MHC

Post by MHC »

Not sure that it started off life as a Hardy spinning rod Julian. The handle shape and fittings seem consistent with a general purpose or 'bottom' rod, I would have thought from another maker. Hardy spinning rods , especially long ones, would have employed various types of screw reel fittings, usually of the double movable variety. An early rod with the brass studlock type ferrules usually had stamped Hardy reel fittings and button fixture.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

MHC wrote:Not sure that it started off life as a Hardy spinning rod Julian. The handle shape and fittings seem consistent with a general purpose or 'bottom' rod, I would have thought from another maker. Hardy spinning rods , especially long ones, would have employed various types of screw reel fittings, usually of the double movable variety. An early rod with the brass studlock type ferrules usually had stamped Hardy reel fittings and button fixture.

Have a look at this previous post about it ( with much clearer photos) when I first purchased it, and the comments from members.
It looked identical to un-refurbished Hardy 10ft cane rod that was for sale a few weeks later, except the reel fittings, and button fixture and button had been replaced on my one - hence no Hardy details.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12158

MHC

Post by MHC »

Thanks for forwarding the eBay listing though the photos do not appear of rod referred to.

A quick check through a couple of Hardy catalogues show that the ferrule and (I assume) the blank look to be Hardy , their Lockfast joint (ferrule) was still being used on some rods in 1957. By the 60's their ferrules were duralumin suction joints, apart from the odd bamboo salmon fly rod.

The button and sliding reel fittings look to be replacements as you say. I am also thinking that the corks may have been replaced creating a new handle as I have yet to see the front and rear swell of corks on a Hardy, plus they look to be newer, maybe a few were taken off and replaced after the rings were added, though I somehow doubt it. The front winding check type collar at the front of the handle may date it originally to the 30's or slightly later , according to my catalogues plus a rod that I have from the period show a slim tapered front to the handle following on from the sleeve. There is the slim possibility the sleeve could have been an add on, but it seems to be the same vintage as the ferrule, my rod (see below) has the same. It is a broken half section Palakona The Gold Medal Rod, a steel centred spinning rod made to be fished with a Hardy Silex hence its low reel fittings seen in catalogue illustrations. I am currently making a 3pce 12' fly rod and replicating this handle plus using the fittings on it, though am making a new button out of ebony with a couple of concentric inlaid rubber rings in the end.

Later on Hardy rods seemed to have a scroll or domed shaped corks at the front with another tapering at the rear back to join the button fitting. As in all things Hardy there will always be exceptions..

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Thanks for all that interesting info MHC.
I realised that the ebay link would no longer show the other rod, but the main reason for the link to my earlier post was to show you the much clearer photos of the rod I have.

Just to note, when I won it on Ebay it was not advertised as a Hardy rod , or any other specific make.
It is in very nice condition and does feel/look as though it is old ie pre- 1950's , but I actually find it is nowhere near as nice to fish with as my B.James stepped-up MK IV, both rods being purchased for mainly being used for stalking carp.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”