The Perfection Roach by Hardy

The Hardy Rods forum.
Shropshire Lad
Perch

Re: The Perfection Roach by Hardy

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Yes bottom line is, in the condition it is in nobody is going to offer you much more than a tenner for it possibly £30 at most the replacement tip section and butt refurb would probably set you back at least £200 :Cool:

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

I am not sure about cheeky, I think offering £15/£20 was cheeky if not a little insulting( new member on the block, does not know anything, try and rip him off!!!). Bye the bye, its not a problem, I could be wrong. And the fact I paid £10 has no relevance, that was just luck on my part; the actual value of the item is relevant here..
I based my price on what others have sold for and that on reading the other Hardy Perfection Rod thread there seemed to be a few members were looking for a rod in this condition as they did not want to pay for a fully restored one and had paid a lot more than £15/£100 for their rods. With this in mind and the fact that restored ones cost up to £500 I thought it was a reasonable offer. I am not sure it needs a new tip, is it the 10ft version (no replies or thoughts on that !)? It might be less than £200 to have restored; although the butt piece might be a problem. All in all I thought it was a fair offer.
PS, I didn't start the thread with a view to selling the rod, it was others that brought that up. I have several old items of fishing gear that I was interested in finding out more and I thought members might enjoy seeing and talking about. My first post, re a very early possible fly green heart rod and possibly quite rare only received one reply. I thought the enjoyment of these items might weigh more than the cost/value. I am not against this, as I would interested in the value of these items and possibly selling them on if any-ones interested just, thought it would be a bit different. However, I am a new member so. I am not expecting to get the culture of the forum right at first and I hope existing members will allow me a bit of latitude in this respect until I get to understand the site more.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Mark, I believe the £10.00 and 15.00 offers were meant as tongue in cheek offers and not offers trying to rip you off.

Most readers of this thread will probably agree the rod is worth £100.00 as a restoration project as long as the butt section is structurally sound and the hardy script is fully legible. The corroded and broken butt cap is a bit of a problem as the Hardy number which dates the rod will probably be missing and this will spoil the rods original provenance and its restored value. However these rods are highly desirable by users as well as collectors so it will always be worth restoring.

The rod is an 11ft version with a shortened tip section by the way. A ten foot rod would have two 5ft sections.

Wal.

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Hi Mark, I believe the £10.00 and 15.00 offers were meant as tongue in cheek offers and not offers trying to rip you off.

Most readers of this thread will probably agree the rod is worth £100.00 as a restoration project as long as the butt section is structurally sound and the hardy script is fully legible. The corroded and broken butt cap is a bit of a problem as the Hardy number which dates the rod will probably be missing and this will spoil the rods original provenance and its restored value. However these rods are highly desirable by users as well as collectors so it will always be worth restoring.

The rod is an 11ft version with a shortened tip section by the way. A ten foot rod would have two 5ft sections.

Wal.
Thank you Wally- I really wanted to know if it was the 10ftor 11ft. As its the shortened 11ft , this would detract the value. The butt cap is a problem also as you say. There are some numbers on it which are hard to make out even with a magnifying glass. I think it is H6683 and then the but splits. Whether there should be more numbers I do not know. Is there a website where these numbers are published?
Apart from the problems, the rods very usable with a bit of a clean. it is a lovely rod to hold and although I have not fished with it yet, I can feel it is a very good rod for what it is designed to do. It is very light as well; its not hard to realize the craftsmanship and the quality. I can see why these rods are desirable... We will see. I haven't made up my mind what to do with it.
As to my earlier comments, forget about it, I said I was probably wrong, I just didn't think I deserved the " your cheeky" comments and I was in some way trying it on..

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Mark
glad any misunderstandings are sorted, this is a very civilised forum where members are only just too willing to help one another and sometimes its all too easy for comments to be taken the wrong way.

As for your rod, I believe the H6683 would date it to 1956 but if there is another digit missing from the end say H66831 it would then be 1965. An expert will probably be able to date it exactly by the hand writing style and H prefix.

Wal.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

" hear hear " to Wal's post, and a belated welcome to the forum.

Ted

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

GhyllManor wrote:" hear hear " to Wal's post, and a belated welcome to the forum.

Ted
Thank you Ted and my apologies to all for any misunderstanding.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Mark
you have a private message.

Wal.

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

After looking at Marks excellent files regarding the dating of Hardy rods and having a closer look at the rod. I believe it to be a 1955 as suggested earlier. Although the but cap is split there is enough of a gap before the split and no suggestion of any other number so; I think the full number is on the butt cap. I think it is H followed by 4 digits.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”