Hardy Mitre Zephyr Float Rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Hardy Mitre Zephyr Float Rod

Post by Ljm183 »

Unusual setup. ,this rod has a Fiberglass butt section and split cane mid and tip.

Anyone have any info on this rod ?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy Mitre Zephyr Float Rod

Post by Nobby »

I did read that Hardy had layed-in sufficient high quality, long node gaps, female Tonkin cane to keep going with the whole cane butt coarse rods, but when it finally ran out, they were more then happy to go over to the 'new' material of glass fibre...indeed they were the first, weren't they? Obviously, they could still build split cane from the less perfect cane they had.

Just occasionally I have seen illustrations of a Wallis Avon Mark II built in the same way. I've got a saved image somewhere.......

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I Have a Hardy Expert that is similar - though mid section is also glass. Hardy were amazingly experimental at times, especially with coarse rods, and it is often a mistake to blindly follow the various lists of Hardy rods in the "bibles" such as Turner's book. When it came to their offshoot operations - such as the Mitre rods, Gordon collaborations etc. I also think they were a little less "precious" about the Hardy name: the Mitre line was, after all, Hardy's attempt to go a little more mainstream (pun intended!)
ATB
Jim

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

What, ...sort of floating a budget range?

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Oh tres drole Nobby - tres drole!

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”