A bit of info please

The Hardy Rods forum.
Rich

A bit of info please

Post by Rich »

Hi all been a time since i last spoke life getting in the way of fishing!!! A bit of a basic question for you all but remember i dont collect cane rods (just make a few in the shed)
flicking through google i have been looking at the wallis avons, there seem to be several no1 no2 no3. Are they the same rod just an evolution of the idea or are they rods with differing characters a little like the b james avon / carp / s/u etc
As i said a daft question i am sure but i cant find much about them thanks all cant wait for the 16th
Rich

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: A bit of info please

Post by Bumble »

Rich very good question I think there are 2 different view points
The No 1 and 2 are supposed to be the same apart from the No 1 came with a metal tube.
However I think this only applies to the very early red whipped ones, I have a latter No 1 in green given TLC by Barder who had a view that all No 1's had superior cane quality whether green or red whipped .
Bumble

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

Not sure but I think that ferrules for the No.3 were different possibly cheaper.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Taken from a 1935 Hardy's super bottom fishing tackle catalogue

Quite a difference to them all.

No1. 11ft 3 pieces whole cane butt, split cane middle & top, Hardy best nickel silver bronzed suction joints, cork handle. Graduated stand-off "fullopen" bridge rings, stand off agate butt and end rings, rubber button, black oxidised adjustable reel fittings. close tied throughout, c/w aluminium tube. Weight 9oz 8drms

No2. 11ft 3 pieces whole cane butt, split cane middle & top, Hardy suction joints, cork handle. Graduated stand-off "fullopen" bridge rings, stand off agate butt and end rings, wood button, black oxidised adjustable reel fittings. close tied middle & top. Weight 9oz 8drms

No3. 11ft 3 pieces whole cane butt and middle, split cane top, suction joints, wood handle. Graduated stand-off "fullopen" bridge rings throughout, agate end ring, wood button, black oxidised adjustable reel fittings. top close tied. Weight 10oz 4drms

Rich

Post by Rich »

Great guys thanks for your help on this one
just finishing the garden in the new house hope to be able to get into my workshop and get things set up mid may working on a couple of nets before the move a repro walker style one and an ash hoop (the prototype worked well) All with whole cane handles and brass fittings if they come out ok will post some pics.
Rich

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”