Richard Walker 10ft fibreglass rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Re: Richard Walker 10ft fibreglass rod

Post by Gilbert »

the only way to make a proper job of a worn spigot is to cut back the female . take off less than you think you need because if you take off too much you can't put it back on .
i scribe round the blank and then use a junior hacksaw , rotating the rod and gradually deepening the cut . i don't find the need to tape the female before i cut although using a wrap of tape is a good way of marking where to cut .
i would not use Bonda on a f/w rod , but that is personal preference . there are good 2 pack rod finishes available that give much better working time, which is handy if you do not have a lot of experience with quick drying products. another preference i have is the avoidance of hi build wrap finish . it is ok for a sea rod - they take a lot of punishment , but i don't like hi build on a f/w rod .apart from anything else it adds weight to the tip
for a 1970s rod i would use a good quality yacht varnish with uv protection - from a chandler - not the local hardware store , and if you can get the use of a spinner / dryer , do so. that will allow you to apply more varnish without the risk of runs and drips .

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Gilbert what 2 part products do you recommend for varnishing blanks?

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

All sorted and taken out for a trip with my 4 ½" Allcock Popular.

Had a super day with this 10lb common being the best.
Bangrove 10lb.jpeg

Thank you all for your help :Hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent! What did you use to varnish the blank in the end?

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

I decided against adding the original Richard Walker autograph and couldn’t get a reasonable looking reproduction so abandoned that idea.
I purchased some Seymo rod varnish and took my time adding six coats over a several weeks. I am very pleased with the end result 😊

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thanks Ambidexman. Enjoy it :Hat:

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Liphook wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:43 am Gilbert what 2 part products do you recommend for varnishing blanks?
apologies Liphook , i missed your query.
the short answer is none - for fresh water blanks at any rate . i use 2 pack on some sea rods because they can have a hard life , but my preference is for a quality yacht varnish from a chandler . it's cheaper than 2 pack , less trouble to apply and with a UV filter won't go yellow

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thanks Gilbert. I'm a fan of bondaseal for the finish it gives but it's not the easiest to use or store! As with all things I'm constantly looking out for alternatives and improvements :Sun:

FlyTyer48
Stickleback

Post by FlyTyer48 »

Dear All,
As a teenager I was taken under the wing of an ex Foster's rod builder. He recommended elastic racing yacht varnish and it has stood me in good stead for 60 years as it stretches in hot weather and casting etc and doesn't crack. Any DIY shop.
Tight lines

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Liphook (if you pick this old thread up), can you possibly expand on how you use Bondaseal for glass rods and its merits. I have never been fully satisfied with varnishes, as they always show up their ‘yellowness’ more than on a cane rod (for obvious reasons). Thank-you.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”