Another Lightcaster.

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Another Lightcaster.

Post by Silfield »

I treated myself to another early Lightcaster - I shouldn't have but couldn't resist it :whistle:
I have been using one this last season for a multitude of different tasks from flicking a small mepps spinner to trotting a local small river and catching small carp from tight swims. It has been a great little rod and a pleasure to use.
One of the reasons for the temptation was that the previous owner had whipped a large red glass butt ring straddling the script. Just so happens that I need exactly such a ring for a heavier spinning rod that I am working on so a deal was done.
I have just removed the ring and there is a lovely little round Allcocks transfer underneath the whipping but covered in rough varnish! The last couple of hours have been spent with a fresh scalpel, fine wet and dry and plenty of breath holding. I dare not dig any deeper as I fear damaging what is left so will preserve with a fresh coat of varnish.

ImageImageImage

There are subtle differences between the two rods but the rings, whipping, ferrules and script are exactly alike. Interestingly the butt cap on the rod with the Allcocks decal in unmarked whilst the other is engraved. Both rod bags and intact labels are the same.
I have just been informed that we now have 'His & Hers' rods :shocked:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: Another Lightcaster.

Post by TrentFisher »

I love the feel of these little gems.I normally match it up with Mitchell 304.
I use my in tight swims on the Trent normally after perch .Plasticine is normally used as the weight and dendras as bait.
I did make a little butt extension from a nice piece of hazel which works well.

Enjoy rods and be nice when sharing!

All the best Nige.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Another Lightcaster.

Post by Duckett »

I love my Lightcaster. Having seen a fair few now, I’m starting to wonder if any two are identical. On mine, for example, the label is closer to the cork. Also, the only reel I can get to sit comfortable on that reel seat is my Mitchell CAP. With every other reel I’ve tried, those bands slip, causing the screw ring to slip. I clearly need to try a small centrepin on it and try some trotting!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”