Allcock holdwell....

The Allcocks Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Allcock holdwell....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have just won a Allcock holdall off the fleabay, it's a bit of a basket case but it was only a Tenner, plus its in North Manchester so can't be many miles from me. Does anyone know anything about these, it's two pieces whole cane and a fiberglass top piece it seems.

Thanks
BB
Last edited by BoltonBullfinch on Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Allcock holdall....

Post by Lea Dweller »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:01 pm I have just won a Allcock holdall off the fleabay, it's a bit of a basket case but it was only a Tenner, plus its in North Manchester so can't be many miles from me. Does anyone know anything about these, it's two pieces whole cane and a fiberglass top piece it seems.

Thanks
BB
Do you mean Allcock Holdwell? I think they came in 11ft and 12ft versions?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Hi BB
A picture from the Allcocks guide for 1955.

I will try to get a better one in daylight for you.
Best John.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Lea Dweller wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:16 pm
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:01 pm I have just won a Allcock holdall off the fleabay, it's a bit of a basket case but it was only a Tenner, plus its in North Manchester so can't be many miles from me. Does anyone know anything about these, it's two pieces whole cane and a fiberglass top piece it seems.

Thanks
BB
Do you mean Allcock Holdwell? I think they came in 11ft and 12ft versions?
Yes, holdwell 12ft. I'm not sure if I typed it wrong or it was predictive.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nice rods. I have the 12' version. Has a very fine tip section, good for silver fish. Also some very nice double intermediates
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Re: Allcock holdwell....

Post by John_Moore »

Here is a better picture BB
The Holdwell is not in the 1950 guide so it must have been introduced between 1950-55?
Maybe introduced in 1954 or 55.

Allcocks also introduced in the '55 guide their new Holdwell screw winch fitting for the Sapper, Colonel and Golden Test rods quoting "the finest on any fly rod in the world".

Regards John.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I have one. A gold label. It’s an excellent float rod for fish up to maybe 6lb. Don’t think I’d like to catch anything bigger with the built cane tip. I had Wal make a handle extension for me because it has a very short handle compared to modern rods. It’s fitted out with low bells throughout and without the tip extension is tip heavy. Looks very good with a 4” pin or 300 sized fixed spool.

Hope yours is a good one. Holdwell seemed a little tongue in cheek to me, but I’ve played some decent fish and I can say those guys at Allcock knew what they were doing.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I have one with a hollow glass tip stripped and ready for re-ringing etc....12ft version.

It feels nice in hand with a my Slater latch Nottingham reel.

All the best
Nige.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

If you look carefully at the Allcock Guide image of a Holdwell and compare it to a real Holdwell you may get a bit confused.......

You see gradually over time the Guide moved the images of the Holdwell and the Lucky Strike around until it was hard to tell which text referred to which rod.

Then one day a typesetter working on the next season's publication swapped them over completely and nobody noticed. Not ever.

I believe the 12 foot version was described as having a Thames action. I take that to mean a fine tip for silverfish, but I might be wrong in that.

I did have an 11 foot version once and it had the loveliest tip I have ever found on an Allcock rod but maybe that was just good luck.

1956 Guide

You can tell the rods apart by the number of rings on the tip section and the butt cap. 1956 the first year the Lucky is available and it's already gone wrong.

1959 Guide

The Holdwell is gone but its image lives on as a Lucky Strike.

In truth it isn't a very good image of a Lucky Strike anyway. Anyone who has held one will recall the top ring on the centre section is right next to the ferrule, but it isn't in the Guide image. Makes you think again about those Guides being used as provenance so often......

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Interesting that the price went down from 110/- to 84/- over 3 years
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”