Allcocks Marvel whipping colour

The Allcocks Rods forum.
EdNash
Rudd

Allcocks Marvel whipping colour

Post by EdNash »

Hello everyone.

I am just starting a refurb on a very old version of the Allcocks Marvel with low bells not snake rings. The whipping appears black but under the dirt could be green, each side of the rings are inters which appear to be cream or white.
Does anyone know what the colours are?

Regards Ed.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Allcocks Marvel whipping colour

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Ed, if you peel a bit off you will get a better idea of the colour on the underside.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I only have 2 Allcock's Guides ... and "The Marvel" isn't listed in 1940.

In the "Coronation Edition" (1953) 'The Marvel is listed in 8 and 8 1/2 ft. versions described as "fast dry fly" action, and 9 ft. described as "medium-fast dry fly" action.

The finish of all versions is listed as "Red whippings on natural hardened cane surface." The whipping pattern can be seen in the photo.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Thanks for the replies. I am pretty sure it is a light bottle green and cream and does look all original. Most I have seen have been red however. I have decided on green and yellow, it will be rather pretty. I am fed up doing red now after finishing the wizard.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

If you use a very light green and use diluted varnish rather than color preserver on the whippings they turn transparant green. This gives a wonderful effect on darker cane. Do a test though on a dowel or waste piece of cane.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Thanks Bobby, will give it a go. I did an Octofloat in the green earlier in the year, nice colour. This old Marvel is horrible really but very straight and I just love saving rods!

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”