The Holdwell??

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

The Holdwell??

Post by Santiago »

I bought one of these a few years ago for peanuts off the bay! When it arrived it came stripped of rings and I haven't yet had neither the time nor the inclination to restore it. Perhaps this winter!!

Anyways, it's the 12' version and both the butt and mid section are whole cane and the tip section is fibreglass.

Before I restore said rod I'd just like to confirm its purpose as that of a general match rod with roach in mind. Any thoughts, advice etc!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Re: The Holdwell??

Post by MGs »

You are correct in your thoughts about the use. I have one of these, 12' but with a cane tip section. The tip is really fine and I'd not want to use it for anything other than smaller species. I think I've had tench to about 4-5lb on it but in my view that would be the limit. Even then I was wincing a bit at the bend in the tip. A lovely rod for roach, rudd and perch.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A very apt rod for you Trevor as it is described as having a Thames action. Stiff rod with tip action for lighter lines and quick line pick up.
I cant find it in my catalogues with a glass tip so may be a later version. It was originally available in 10ft 6in or 12ft but a 1953 catalogue lists it as an 11ft rod.
Whole cane is extremely strong so I wouldn't worry too much about larger fish. The glass tip will not break.

Wal.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Wal. Might just be what I need for fishing hemp.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”