Allcocks Golden Guinea

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Allcocks Golden Guinea

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Evening Gentlefolk of TFF world :Hat:

I have this lovely little fly rod which I planned to turn into a nice little gudgeon rod which I could use on the Wally jolly one day, presuming we are ever allowed out to play again!

The problem is that I am unsure whether or not to mess around with what appears to be a fairly rare rod, so my question to you is what are your thoughts should I have it refurbished back to its former glory in which case I may not use it as I have never fly fished in my life and the opportunities to do so in Essex are few and far between, or should I have the rod converted to something I would use but then another Golden Guinea has disappeared forever.

If you fall into the refurbishment camp can you recommend another lightweight fly rod to convert into a tiddler bashing rod that is both cheap and plentiful so that I won't fall into this trap again.

Kindest regards

GB

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Allcocks Golden Guinea

Post by Catfish.017 »

Not exactly plentiful but the Allcocks Sapper would be suitable. In fact they did use the same blank as a Roach rod.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Good evening GB
I think the Golden Guinea was a 10 1/2 ft split cane rod by Allcocks which was discontinued around 1938
I wouldn't like to try and put a price on it I guess it depends on condition etc, although I think it is a pretty rare rod
Allcocks may have only made them for maybe a handful of years?
I will have a look in my work shop in the next day or two and see if I have a old fly rod light enough which I might be able to send down for you to convert for gudgeon bashing.
Best for now John.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Catfish.017 wrote: ↑Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:52 pm
John_Moore wrote: ↑Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:58 pm
Thank you both for your swift replies I guess you are both in the it's too scarce a rod to mess around with camp, I had sort of come to that conclusion myself I think.

John

I am no expert by any means but the few bits of information I did manage to glean from the interweb eluded to two rods named the Golden Guinea the one you mentioned which was a 10ft 6 bottom rod and this one which is a 9ft 6 fly rod which I believe was only made for about a year before being renamed The Golden Test.

Thank you so much for your generous offer of another rod to convert it never ceases to amaze me the generosity of members of this forum I hope Mark is incredibly proud of what he has created.

Kindest regards GB

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

My Wally rod was a converted fly blank of 8' or so... a superb gudgeon rod it is too... look on "That Auction site" for a cheap rod of about that size and send it off to Wal for his tender ministrations and you'll have a Fine Gudgeon Wrangler...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Aitch wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2020 8:57 am My Wally rod was a converted fly blank of 8' or so... a superb gudgeon rod it is too... look on "That Auction site" for a cheap rod of about that size and send it off to Wal for his tender ministrations and you'll have a Fine Gudgeon Wrangler...
Oh I know Aitch I know, it was reading your posts that put me in this predicament :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

GB

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Oops.... Sorry....πŸ˜›πŸ˜ŽπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Aitch wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2020 11:27 am Oops.... Sorry....πŸ˜›πŸ˜ŽπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£
No worries Aitch, although you can do me a huge favour if you don't mind. Can you point me in the direction of your original post of your Wally wizard as I have spent all morning trying to find it to look at the photos of yours but can't seem to find them, or maybe these were lost in tinypicgate, I hope not!!

GB :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Gudgeon Basher wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2020 12:13 pm
No worries Aitch, although you can do me a huge favour if you don't mind. Can you point me in the direction of your original post of your Wally wizard as I have spent all morning trying to find it to look at the photos of yours but can't seem to find them, or maybe these were lost in tinypicgate, I hope not!!

Steve, I may still have some pictures of the Wally Wizard if you cant find Harrys.
Let me know and i'll have a look for them
Wal.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Wallys-Cast wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm
Gudgeon Basher wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Steve, I may still have some pictures of the Wally Wizard if you cant find Harrys.
Let me know and i'll have a look for them
Wal.
Ooo yes please Wal and I might have another rod for you to have a play with by the looks of it :Chuckle:

Return to β€œAllcocks Cane Rods”