Carp Avon

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Carp Avon

Post by Beresford »

[*]
Champ wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm A great find Ljm.I had and used one.Mostly with the Avon tip.The tulip tip rings are lovely.I dont remember seeing these on any other rod.
Sharpes often used them.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Yum!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Beresford wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 pm [*]
Champ wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm A great find Ljm.I had and used one.Mostly with the Avon tip.The tulip tip rings are lovely.I dont remember seeing these on any other rod.
Sharpes often used them.
I had one fitted to my Ogden Smith, it had a clear insert, sadly it was badly damaged and beyond repair .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
Reasonably interestingly, I have a Carp Avon with the reel fitting on the wrong way round. As the butt end cork is flared, I wonder if this was a manufacturing mistake on a boring Frīday afternoon before Xmas.
Nice rods. Enjoy.
Regards Cat

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

What is the "wrong way round"?

I have a Carp/Avon - with 2 butt sections one for each tip! The screw-winch fitting is different on each butt section.

In the 67 guide no mention is made of a screw winch fitting and the illustration show individual rings.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Indeed, the screw winch is the wrong way around....mine's the other way to all photos I've seen, and I have to tighten from the front rather than the back.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

As I have one of each! I reckon others are out there!

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Champ - just a thought but did you sell your Carp Avon to me around 10 years ago? I recall a TFF member selling me the rod and delivering it to me in Pershore but I cannot remember who - if it was yourself then many thanks indeed - superb rod which I like alot and which has several outings a year.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:00 am
Champ - just a thought but did you sell your Carp Avon to me around 10 years ago? I recall a TFF member selling me the rod and delivering it to me in Pershore but I cannot remember who - if it was yourself then many thanks indeed - superb rod which I like alot and which has several outings a year.
I think you'll find that was me Keith, it was one restored by Barder wasn't it?

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:24 am
PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:00 am
I think you'll find that was me Keith, it was one restored by Barder wasn't it?
T'was not your goodself DB that sold me the Carp/ Avon - I bought the Avon Superb from you though. The Carp Avon I acquired had been well used and was certainly not restored by Barder although I had seen a Carp Avon in Barder's workshop some years before. My Carp Avon went to Andrew Davis and he restored it for me to his usual very high standard.

I recall visiting you on the Wye with Loopster maybe in 2012 or 2013 and I brought the Carp/ Avon with me (pre -refurbishment) and you asking if you could stroke its fine lines. I recall thinking 'What a strange man.' :Hat:

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”