Allcock Super Wizard, how many rings did they have and...

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Allcock Super Wizard, how many rings did they have and...

Post by Tengisgol »

...and are these, them?

I have a Wizard from the early-mid sixties a
I am about to renovate and it needs new rings. By chance I was handed these (below) at a club meeting from a chap as a gift which he said were off an Allcocks rod.

Do you think these are off a Super Wizard, is it the right number and would I be OK to put them on the Wizard I am planning to refurbish?

Thanks in anticipation,

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

GregF
Crucian Carp

Re: Allcock Super Wizard, how many rings did they have and...

Post by GregF »

They look exactly the same as the ones on mine and the number is correct. Three plus tip on top section, three on the middle and one on the butt. Mine has one less since I lost a few inches off the top, but originally eight rings in total.
Hope this helps.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They do look exactly the same as the ones I have seen on Super Wizards Steve and that is the correct number of rings. The Wizard does benefit from an extra ring on the tip section and the standard medium bells rings are a bit lighter so fitting these lined rings may make the rod feel a bit floppy when waggled. It doesn't alter the feel of the rod in use though.

Wal.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:31 am They do look exactly the same as the ones I have seen on Super Wizards Steve and that is the correct number of rings. The Wizard does benefit from an extra ring on the tip section and the standard medium bells rings are a bit lighter so fitting these lined rings may make the rod feel a bit floppy when waggled. It doesn't alter the feel of the rod in use though.

Wal.
It’s a bit if a result really because, cleaned up, they look in excellent condition. I will get the rod out the bag later and have a good look. I don’t fancy stepping down one ring (I prefer more than less) so I may look for an extra one so I have Super rings in the same place as would have been the standard rod.

Thanks chaps.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have both a Wizard & Super Wizard.
My Super Wizard, as it is floppy as Wal states, seems better for ledgering. A softer action.
Rather than the Wizard I have, with standoff rings and crisper action, which is more suited to float fishing

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It was thought by some that the lined rings made the rod a bit floppy and some changed them for 'normal' high bells.

Maybe that's how that set came about, because they do look like the right ones.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”