My Lucky Strike

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Gudgeon Basher
Dace

My Lucky Strike

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Afternoon Gents

I recently took a bit of a punt buying this rod from the EvilBay! The seller had not posted very good pictures so I was unsure if it had a complete top section or, like many rods, was a tad on the short side, but from what I could see it looked fairly straight but the rings were definitely for the bin as they were almost rusted through but on the plus side the label was complete.

I just had a feeling that this was the one and bought it with the idea of having my first go at restoring, when it arrived I was almost too scared to open the tube but I eventually plucked up the courage and was greeted with an awful smell of mould and mildew, I reached in and felt the damp rod bag and was genuinely concerned at what I was going to find.

When I pulled the rod out section by section I was amazed that it was actually in far better condition than I could have hoped, yes the rings needed replacing and the varnish was lifting around some of the faded whippings but apart from that I was over the moon.

I'm putting up some photos, as most of the pictures of these are now sadly not available anymore.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I know its only a boys rod to some but to me its a treasure, and far too good to risk on my ham-fisted first attempt at restoration so she's winging her way to Dr Cane as she deserves to have our very own artisan fuss over her.

Any information I can glean from you gentleman as to Lucky's age or age range would be most welcome or does anyone know anything about the second transfer most likely the tackle shop I guess, but all/any info welcome.

I will stop prattling on now thanks for looking.

Regards GB

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: My Lucky Strike

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Good Afternoon GB

That looks like an excellent acquisition and well worth handing over for restoration to a master of the art rather than selecting it as your first restoration attempt. It may be considered as a boys rod to some and whilst I do not have a Lucky Strike rod I do have and use a Harvey Torbett rod - actually offered as a boys rod. If the Lucky Strike is as good as the Harvey Torbett then you will have many hours of enjoyment in front of you.

I have often wondered about these so called boys rods and all I can say is any boys who actually got one of these in their early years were some lucky fellows indeed and I never saw one of these rods being used by a junior when I was a lad. £4 for a fishing rod in the early 1960s represented 80 weeks pocket money - instead we only had dreams but now have the opportunity to live those dreams - enjoy - you have waited long enough.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Just the name makes me smile! Excellent find, I will look forward to seeing it restored :Hat:

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Looks like you struck lucky :Hahaha:

Hope you get plenty of enjoyment from the rod.

Marks7
Bleak

Post by Marks7 »

I also have a Lucky Strike which has the same label as yours so I too would be interested to know its age. Mine, like yours needs a refurb which, hopefully will happen in he near future, but is usable in the meantime. It's one of my favourite rods!

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:16 pm Good Afternoon GB

That looks like an excellent acquisition and well worth handing over for restoration to a master of the art rather than selecting it as your first restoration attempt. It may be considered as a boys rod to some and whilst I do not have a Lucky Strike rod I do have and use a Harvey Torbett rod - actually offered as a boys rod. If the Lucky Strike is as good as the Harvey Torbett then you will have many hours of enjoyment in front of you.

I have often wondered about these so called boys rods and all I can say is any boys who actually got one of these in their early years were some lucky fellows indeed and I never saw one of these rods being used by a junior when I was a lad. £4 for a fishing rod in the early 1960s represented 80 weeks pocket money - instead we only had dreams but now have the opportunity to live those dreams - enjoy - you have waited long enough.
Really pleased to read your reply, I pondered for a long time whether to have a go fitting new eyes etc myself especially as its something I would love to be able to do, but I have never held a rod that just instantly put an inane grin on my face before and I would have been devastated to mess it up. So very glad to hear you think I have made the right choice :Thumb:

All the best GB

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Liphook wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:55 pm Just the name makes me smile! Excellent find, I will look forward to seeing it restored :Hat:
You and me both Liphook, I will post pictures of Wals work when I get her back.

All the best GB

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Well done GB!! My first rod was a Lucky Strike and every time someone mentions one I am taken back more years than I care to tell!
Please put some pics up when you get it back, You will make an old man very happy!!!!

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Don't worry Mick I haven't finished boring everybody just yet :Chuckle: and will definitely want to show of Luckys new finish once I get her back home

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Well after an anxious wait and many courier issues Lucky has returned from Dr Cane's health spa and fitness resort and as a few of you asked, here are some photos of her now.

Apologies Wal the photos really don't do Lucky justice, but its the best I can do!

ImageImageImageImageImage

She has a new butt cap to enable me to screw in one of Wal's extensions and has a porcelain lined butt ring fitted as well, so not totally original but I am going to fish with Lucky not stuff her in a display case and I can't ever see me selling her so I think these little changes will make this even more pleasurable.

The last photo shows her fitted out with a DAM 220 which was sourced by Duebel (many thanks Martin) and this is the combo I will try first then maybe the DAM 110 then some of my Intrepids Hmmm I think I will need a big reel of 3lb line :Confused:

Regards GB

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”