Harvey Torbett Avon Rod

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Harvey Torbett Avon Rod

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I was polishing the ferrules on my Harvey Torbett this afternoon and wondered if Mr Torbett actually had any involvement in the design of the rod or did Allcocks simply name the rod after him, does any body know?
Also, does anyone have an original rod bag for their "Harvey", I don't think mine is the bag it left the factory in as it has no labels and it would be nice to see a picture of an original.
It does seem to be a lovely rod. Its had very little use, all original with well fitting ferrules and good rings, excellent cane, light, well balanced and I'm looking forward to trying it out on the river. :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Harvey Torbett Avon Rod

Post by Olly »

According to the 1966 Allcocks Guide:--

Harvey Torbett, angling journalist and tireless worker for young anglers.

The "Harvey Torbett" rod
For the young angler.Previously young anglers have been catered for with relatively cheap and primitive fishing rods.
The "Harvey Torbett"is the first high quality rod ever to be designed specifically for the juvenile, and as such, has met
with an enthusiastic response.

It is a light rod, perfectly balanced so that a twelve-year-old boy may wield it all day without the least fatigue. 2-joint
built cane with separate cork handle,screw winch fitting, agatine butt and end rings, full stand-off intermediates, red silk
whippings, cloth bag. Length 10ft.
A250 75/- ea + 12/6 P. Tax

I sold one I acquired with a splintered tip section to a TFF member a couple of years a go.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I’ve not actually seen one but I find the description very interesting. Could you post some pictures JC?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It is boys version of a Chapman 500!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:10 pm It is boys version of a Chapman 500!
Sounds even better!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

View this Topic:-

"A Few Hours with Harvey Torbett"

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:24 pm I was polishing the ferrules on my Harvey Torbett this afternoon and wondered if Mr Torbett actually had any involvement in the design of the rod or did Allcocks simply name the rod after him, does any body know?
Also, does anyone have an original rod bag for their "Harvey", I don't think mine is the bag it left the factory in as it has no labels and it would be nice to see a picture of an original.
It does seem to be a lovely rod. Its had very little use, all original with well fitting ferrules and good rings, excellent cane, light, well balanced and I'm looking forward to trying it out on the river. :Hat:
Good Evening Jeremy

My Harvey Torbett rod came complete with original bag which bears the Allcocks label. I will post a photo or two in the next day or so. Wagtail also has a Harvey Torbett rod which has seen some outings at Stockton and with some success I might add.

What I can confirm is that when I hooked 3 large Carp (all on the same day) when fishing for Crucians with my Harvey Torbett rod and I could not stop any of them at all being broken twice at a range of 40 yards or so when trying to apply more pressure and the third took me under the Willows tangled me up in the underwater roots system, threw the hook and left me to pull for a break.

Lovely light rod though for Crucians and Roach - you will not be disappointed I am sure.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Duckett wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 pm I’ve not actually seen one but I find the description very interesting. Could you post some pictures JC?

Phil
I'll try and get some photos posted tomorrow Phil :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:52 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:24 pm I was polishing the ferrules on my Harvey Torbett this afternoon and wondered if Mr Torbett actually had any involvement in the design of the rod or did Allcocks simply name the rod after him, does any body know?
Good Evening Jeremy

My Harvey Torbett rod came complete with original bag which bears the Allcocks label. I will post a photo or two in the next day or so. Wagtail also has a Harvey Torbett rod which has seen some outings at Stockton and with some success I might add.

What I can confirm is that when I hooked 3 large Carp (all on the same day) when fishing for Crucians with my Harvey Torbett rod and I could not stop any of them at all being broken twice at a range of 40 yards or so when trying to apply more pressure and the third took me under the Willows tangled me up in the underwater roots system, threw the hook and left me to pull for a break.

Lovely light rod though for Crucians and Roach - you will not be disappointed I am sure.
Thanks, it would be nice to see your photos.
I acquired the rod from Wagtail so unless he had two it is the rod you mention in your post! :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:39 pm
Duckett wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 pm I’ve not actually seen one but I find the description very interesting. Could you post some pictures JC?

Phil
I'll try and get some photos posted tomorrow Phil :Hat:
Thanks Jeremy.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”