Harvey Torbett Avon Rod

The Allcocks Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: Harvey Torbett Avon Rod

Post by MGs »

Olly wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:47 pm
I sold one I acquired with a splintered tip section to a TFF member a couple of years a go.
Repaired and still going well. :Wink:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I had a reproduction HT and it is the one cane rod I miss the most. I fished the Test with it and landed lots of trout to about 4lb's. The rod took it all in it's stride with plenty in reserve yet it was light, responsive and an absolute joy to use.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Good to hear MG!!

At 10ft it can be a float/ledger/light spinning rod - but a bit too light for my styles of fishing!

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Here are some photos of my Harvey Torbett rod complete with original 3 compartment Allcocks bag - purchased in a pretty poor condition off e.bay thanks to a tip off by an esteemed TFF member who acknowledges my lack of computer skills and the like and restored by Andrew Davis to his usual very high standard.

ImageImageImageImageImage

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:24 pm I was polishing the ferrules on my Harvey Torbett this afternoon and wondered if Mr Torbett actually had any involvement in the design of the rod or did Allcocks simply name the rod after him, does any body know?
Harvey was a teacher by profession, and an angler from his early childhood (often with his life long friend and angling companion Bill Howes) ... and his enthusiasm for angling led him into many areas, a few of which I listed in another post :-

"As well as being an active coarse, fly, and sea angler he wrote (under his own name, as well as under his nom de plume "Isis") for many publications, coached, ran groups for young people, was an L.C.C. (London County Council) Angling Instructor (which is why I believe Allcock's named their 'avon' rod for young people after him), made a short film (which I'm hoping to source a copy of, but I think the chances are thin), broadcast on angling on the BBC Home Service in a series called "Fishing Reel' around 1960/61 ... was Angling Correspondent for Associated Rediffusion (later to become ITV), and Honorary Biologist to the Thames Federation of Anglers ... amongst other things."

Amongst many others, he took a teenaged Mick Jagger to the bank (he was on a committee with Mick's father) !!!

I believe that Allcock's asked Harvey what rod he would suggest for boys, and that he had at least some input into it's configuration.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Thanks for posting those pics, it looks like my bag may be original but missing its label?
Here's some pics of my "Harvey"ImageImageImageImage
I think this rod must be the lightest, best balanced Avon rod I have ever had the pleasure to waggle!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

After such a noble resoreation this rod/bag deserves the correct label. Put out a wanted plea amongst our crowd etc.but expect £20 would be required.A compantent machinist would unpick the label without damage and attach to the original bag to look very professional, done properly.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

AshbyCut wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:14 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:24 pm I was polishing the ferrules on my Harvey Torbett this afternoon and wondered if Mr Torbett actually had any involvement in the design of the rod or did Allcocks simply name the rod after him, does any body know?
Harvey was a teacher by profession, and an angler from his early childhood (often with his life long friend and angling companion Bill Howes) ... and his enthusiasm for angling led him into many areas, a few of which I listed in another post :-

"As well as being an active coarse, fly, and sea angler he wrote (under his own name, as well as under his nom de plume "Isis") for many publications, coached, ran groups for young people, was an L.C.C. (London County Council) Angling Instructor (which is why I believe Allcock's named their 'avon' rod for young people after him), made a short film (which I'm hoping to source a copy of, but I think the chances are thin), broadcast on angling on the BBC Home Service in a series called "Fishing Reel' around 1960/61 ... was Angling Correspondent for Associated Rediffusion (later to become ITV), and Honorary Biologist to the Thames Federation of Anglers ... amongst other things."

Amongst many others, he took a teenaged Mick Jagger to the bank (he was on a committee with Mick's father) !!!

I believe that Allcock's asked Harvey what rod he would suggest for boys, and that he had at least some input into it's configuration.
Thanks for that insight Mal, having thought more about it I guess he would have had to have approved of the rod if it were to bear his name and to that end collaborated with Allcocks in its specification and design.
He did a good job and I bet it appealed to a lot of Dads as well as lads!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lovely rod Jeremy. Thanks for sharing.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”