Allcocks record breaker

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks record breaker

Post by Olly »

No probs - let me know if you need any more/better measurements!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think they were a bit expensive and most anglers bought the Lucky Strike as it was cheaper. Hence the rarity, though in 1966 they were flogging them off cheap to dealers as Shakespeare took over.

Here's an image of the uncatalogued deluxe:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

That's interesting. It does look as though mine has the remains of the "De Luxe" transfer under the main badge, and it has the black twiddly-diddly thread. Thank you .
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

AllcocksRB
Minnow

Post by AllcocksRB »

Thanks for that Nobby. It's wonderful to see one with 100% of the label, now where can I buy one... :holmes:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Mine has the black twiddly-diddly thread - but no "De-Luxe" - either in writing or a label!

The '67 Guide states - "two-tone silk whippings" - no RB in the '66 Guide. So prior to '66 at least?

When was the D/L made then?

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

AllcocksRB wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:11 am Thanks guys, I have some green whipping already so just need to get some red.

Mines the same as yours Kev, perhaps mines a deluxe too. Is there much a difference? Its missing a lot of the label unfortunately but the cane is in great condition though.

I have just purchased a Allcocks record breaker last weekend and having only looked at it briefly I'm certain that it is this exact rod. It has the same tiny piece of label remaining and needs a full restoration. Can the Allcocks labels still be purchased or is it a case of scrape the tiny piece off and write the rod details on the cane, like I did with the Allcocks water wolf pike rod.
I purchased the rod from a forum member, but not the one who posted the picture. If its not the exact rod I do apologise, but I will check for definate when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:01 am
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:21 am That's a very nice looking rod Wal, are they a rarity or quite easy to get hold of?.

Thanks
BB
They were sold for a lot of years but strangely they don't turn up too often.
It has been said they are a upmarket Lucky Strike but I have never compared the two blanks so can't say for certain.

Wal.
I have an early Record breaker, same format as the early Lucky Strike that CY used in the Passion for Angling series. My rod is quite fine in the tip 0.085" but thicker in the butt than my Lucky Strike.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Would anyone have the guide pattern for the record breaker please.

Thanks
BB

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:37 pm Would anyone have the guide pattern for the record breaker please.

Thanks
BB
I have a late Record Breaker. Would the measurements from that be of any use?

As an aside I also have the earlier Record Breaker that came before the early Record Breaker. It’s a very light and very different rod!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Duckett wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:47 pm
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:37 pm Would anyone have the guide pattern for the record breaker please.

Thanks
BB
I have a late Record Breaker. Would the measurements from that be of any use?

As an aside I also have the earlier Record Breaker that came before the early Record Breaker. It’s a very light and very different rod!

Phil
Thanks for the offer Phil, but when I had a good look at the rod tonight lots of the varnish and the gaps in the varnish are still there, so I got a metal rule and measured everything, in fact I only finished a few minutes ago. I now have the guide measurements and the double intermediate placings and the triple intermediate. I now have to find out if I can get the correct transfer but I'm not hopeful on that one.

Thanks
BB

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”