Allcocks record breaker

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Kev D
Chub

Re: Allcocks record breaker

Post by Kev D »

AllcocksRB wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:11 am Thanks guys, I have some green whipping already so just need to get some red.

Mines the same as yours Kev, perhaps mines a deluxe too. Is there much a difference? Its missing a lot of the label unfortunately but the cane is in great condition though.

Good luck with it. Hopefully someone will find a definative example of a De Luxe version in a hidden corner of their rod room for comparison. Certainly there seems to be nothing de-luxe about my example. It's probably heresy but I think the alloy fittings look a bit naff and the chrome ferrules really don't compliment the cane.
Mine had lost a couple of inches from its tip before being given to me. It may have lost a bit of delicacy but is a good general purpose rod.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The fittings on your rods are as sold - untouched.

There is a De-Luxe version currently for sale on that auction site!

Different rods with 2 x different handles (see Wals) : different whipping colour sequence (yours & mine next to handle -black/green/red) Wals: green/red) - so they are not all the same but similar.

AllcocksRB
Minnow

Post by AllcocksRB »

Olly wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:26 pm The fittings on your rods are as sold - untouched.

There is a De-Luxe version currently for sale on that auction site!

Different rods with 2 x different handles (see Wals) : different whipping colour sequence (yours & mine next to handle -black/green/red) Wals: green/red) - so they are not all the same but similar.
Ah, that is excellent to hear. Hopefully, with the original eyes that I have in my possession I can bring it back to its former glory. Just need to get the thread and find a picture of the rod ring spacings and I'm off!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It should be like Wals - just like mine but very slightly different - if that makes sense!

The ring measurement is on the Forum somewhere or I can give you them - after a few measures.

AllcocksRB
Minnow

Post by AllcocksRB »

Olly wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 pm It should be like Wals - just like mine but very slightly different - if that makes sense!

The ring measurement is on the Forum somewhere or I can give you them - after a few measures.
I shall have a look through the forums, save you messing around. However, I'll let you know if I'm unsuccessful at finding it.

Thank you Olly

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have had a look and it seems "Tinypic" has deleted most of the data!!! :hairpull: :Hair out:

Give me till tomorrow and I will put on here before I put the rod away! :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Working from the female ferrules.
Butt section: centre of agate butt ring from top of female ferrule = 10.5 inches.

Middle joint from female ferrule: ring 4.5 inches - gap 13 in to second ring: gap 13.75 in to 3rd ring: gap about 10 in to top of male ferrule.

Top joint from base of tip ring/cane top: ring 8.5 in: 2nd ring 11 in : 3rd ring 11.75 in: gap to top of male ferrule about 9 in.

All measurements are to the centre of the stand-off ring ie the eye.

Hope that helps - you may want (as a bit of the tip is missing?) to work the other way --- up the rod!
Last edited by Olly on Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I just peeked at the image of a De Luxe for sale on the interweb. It looks just like my rod apart from that it has no black whipping and under the Allcock's transfer ,written in a rather incongruous style, are the words De Luxe.
It might just have depended how busy they were,how much thread they had left over from a previous batch or the enthusiastic or rebellious nature of the whipper as to whether you got the extra black stripes🙂
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have the extra black whippings - - - but no "De-Luxe" logo!

There is one at each end of every ring inc tip plus at each ferrules and just before the cork handle.

AllcocksRB
Minnow

Post by AllcocksRB »

Olly wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:50 pm Working from the female ferrules.
Butt section: centre of agate butt ring from top of female ferrule = 10.5 inches.

Middle joint from female ferrule: ring 4.5 inches - gap 13 in to second ring: gap 13.75 in to 3rd ring: gap about 10 in to top of male ferrule.

Top joint from base of tip ring/cane top: ring 8.5 in: 2nd ring 11 in : 3rd ring 11.75 in: gap to top of male ferrule about 9 in.

All measurements are to the centre of the stand-off ring ie the eye.

Hope that helps - you may want (as a bit of the tip is missing?) to work the other way --- up the rod!
Thank you ever so much Olly, that'll help greatly.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”