Allcocks Wizard

The Allcocks Rods forum.
John_Moore
Silver Bream

Allcocks Wizard

Post by John_Moore »

Hello all
I Recently acquired a gold oval label Allcocks Wizard
Original condition but with a full set of agate rings?
These are a favourite rod of mine and I have a few....(my wife would say a few to many) from 1930's green spiral models through to the 1960's green and black oblong label rods
When did Allcocks put the Super on the Wizard label? I wonder....
Or did they run out of Super Wizard labels and stick a plain Wizard one on?.
Anyone with any info greatly appreciated.
Cheers John.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks Wizard

Post by Olly »

It is the only Wizard in the '66 catalogue and but not in the '67. No "Wizard" just the "Super Wizard" version.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

I believe Allcocks changed from the gold oval label to the green & black oblong label when they merged with Lee & Young (1964/5)?
This Wizard also has brass tenon ferrules (which I understand makes it an early rod as I have another Wizard with t enon ferrules that has provenance before 1950), brass reel seatings and the normal green felt between the black rubber button and brass ferrule at the bottom of the wrapped cork handle, as far as I know the brass fittings were carried on during the 1940's and into the late 50's? (Correct me if I'm wrong) when the alloy fittings were introduced to the Wizard.
Anymore info greatly appreciated....
Last edited by John_Moore on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I have a gold label Super Wizard that has "Super Wizard" on the label and has alloy reel bands. The rubber button is not, I think original, as the rod had been re-varnished and a 6 inch removable butt extension added. However, the threaded hole had green fibres in it, suggesting the felt washer used to be present.

Sadly, I need educating on "tenon ferrules". If you could describe or upload a photo, I could let you know if mine are the same.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Thanks Phil
The tenon ferrule has a slim round pin on the male ferrule when inserted into the female ferrule the pin slots into the cane of the rod.
A tenon ferrule from a early 1950's Wizard
John.
IMG_20191002_214749.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Hi John,

Ha, that’s what those type of ferrule are called - makes perfect sense now! Thanks. No, mine are not tenon ferrules, though the design of=f the top section, next to the whipping is identical to yours.

Taken with the alloy reel bands, I think you have proved to me that mine is a later gold label Super Wizard. Prior to buying that rod, I had a waggle of several Wizrads, both gold and oblong label, and they were all what I would call “floppy” before I found mine, which has turned out to be a surprisingly capable rod, recently landing a feral carp of just over 8lb twinned with a wooden centrepin and 5lb Line.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a gold oval labelled Wizard.. it doesn't have the spigotted ferrules and unlined rings other than tip and butt and is probably 1960's vintage... mine too is quite floppy, but seems to have a bit of power in the butt and middle sections... its a good Tench Perch and Chub rod and I've landed a couple of carp on it to 6lb... it gets used as a general float and leger rod... one of my "Go-To Rods
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a Super Wizard and an Aspindale Aero Wizard.Very different in several aspects.

Super Wizard - green & black label - agate rings throughout - best described as "floppy".

Aspindale Wizard - high stainless float rings - agate butt & tip rings - crisp action.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Thanks everyone for your replies and help so far....
On a personal note of the Wizards I have used over the years the ones I have found floppy are due to the middle rod section, there were some less than exact measurements from some of the old rod makers years ago and in my opinion many of the Wizards built up to 1953/54 are superior in action to ones built after that date, but that also depends on how the rod has been cared for.
The thicker whole cane butt section introduced during the 1950's also didn't help the action of the Wizard, the rod only bends on the middle and tip, I have found the same with the mkIV carp rod with a hardwood section insert under the cork handle I prefer a rod with the cane running through the cork handle as this gives a full and true through action ,I don't think this matters as much with the Wizard as the cork handle is not as long.
I must admit the best Wizards I have used were the very early ones.
I will see if I can put some more pictures on in the next couple of days.
Weathers not good at present so I should find some time.
John.
Last edited by John_Moore on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I’m clearly going to have to have a waggle of a few more Wizard’s as I certainly wouldn’t describe mine as floppy! Interesting stuff.

Phil

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”