Reel seat for an Ian Bennett

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Venture
Stickleback

Reel seat for an Ian Bennett

Post by Venture »

Does any have or know where I could get a replacement reel seat for my Ian Bennet fly rod? I bought it without handle or seat but the rest of the rod is in great shape and worth Fishing with.

Thanks to Olly I have an image of what I’m looking for:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ian+b ... vaprfDTyPM

Can’t find anything quite like it online so wondering if anyone has a rod beyond repair that I could buy the seat from or know of anyone who holds something like this?

Cheers,

Simon

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Reel seat for an Ian Bennett

Post by Wallys-Cast »

What is the overall length of the seat Simon, I may have something suitable.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Hi Wal - it does not say in either the 66 or 67 catalogues. The only thing that is clear is in the picture above that I found!

There were also several different variations of the "Ian Bennet" Series of Fly Rod for Scotland in the 67 catalogue.

Venture
Stickleback

Post by Venture »

Hi Wal, thanks for writing. 4inches would do it perfectly, photo below. The handle is just reamed to fit so I can cut it down/reshape it if anything you have is longer than four.

Cheers for any help

And thanks for your help Olly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Venture wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:00 pm Hi Wal, thanks for writing. 4inches would do it perfectly, photo below. The handle is just reamed to fit so I can cut it down/reshape it if anything you have is longer than four.

Cheers for any help

And thanks for your help Olly
I'll have a good mooch through the boxes tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I'll definitely get back to you tomorrow Simon.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Sorry Simon, all I can find are these reel fittings from spinning rods but if any are of use to you let me know and I'll send them.
They are all just over 4 inches long and the four on the left have 15mm bore, the other two are 20mm bore. The black/silver one with 20mm bore has a wooden dowel insert with a 10mm bore but this could be reamed out to suit.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have now found a double-locking down-loading fly reel seat in black/silver with the screw insert for the button/spear.

It has an internal diameter of 16.5 mm and its length is 110.00 mm - which would appear to be correct. To my knowledge it is unused, well I have not used it nor reclaimed it! Possibly from the tackle shop I worked in which had many 'remnants' of the past in old cabinets.

If it fits or likely to you are welcome to it. Just PM me.

Venture
Stickleback

Post by Venture »

Hello Wal and Olly, thank you for your time to look for me, much appreciated. But none of those are quite ‘the one’ for the original look. I have a couple of modern seats with wood spacers so f I want to fish with the rod I can tack something together with hot glue for the sake of playing but most likely will keep looking for the right seat or a shot donor rod to make a proper restoration.

Cheers, Simon

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”