New acquisition Allcocks Combination, Advice needed

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Mark_N
Bleak

New acquisition Allcocks Combination, Advice needed

Post by Mark_N »

Hi all,

I just bought an Allcocks Combination, as per the pics below. The rod itself seems sound, the handle needs a clean and a new set of reel rings, but as for the rest of it, the whipping is a bit iffy, it doesn't have that factory look to me so I assume it has been re-whipped at some stage, one of the top eyes definitely has because it is black not red and also you can see a ring in between the legs of some of the rings where it looks like the rings have been moved

I've posted a few pics to show what I mean. I'm thinking that it needs stripping, re-whipping and varnishing, so I have a couple of questions as its been a while since I last did this.

1:Is there any simple way to clean a cork handle? (I seem to remember using baking soda or something like that many years ago)
2: Is red the right colour thread for this rod, if not what colour should it be?
3: Are there any other tips for a returning rod builder?

Last but more important, What's the view on this rod?
I bought this thinking that it would be a simple way to get a float rod and a leger rod, but the fibreglass tips are pretty thick and it doesn't feel like the most balanced of rods. I'm wondering if it is worth the effort and whether I would be better stuffing this one in the garage and using it for rod rests or spares.

Thanks

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Paul D

Re: New acquisition Allcocks Combination, Advice needed

Post by Paul D »

Looks like a "bitsa" to me, the flaming is not standard. A pan scourer and warm, soapy water will sort the handle. :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

In my 1953 Allcock's Guide the 'Combination' is described as "4 joint mottled cane , 3 lancewood tops,(making 11ft. bottom rod, 9ft. live baiting rod, and 9ft. spinning rod), balanced handle, snake rings, porcelain end ring on spinning top, bronzed winch fittings, in bag, 60 shillings each."

By the 1967 Angler's Guide it's evolved into "whole cane with three solid glass tops, making 4 joint 11ft. float rod, 4 joint 9ft ledgering and spinning rod, and 3 joint 9ft. live baiting or sea rod. Cork handle, sliding aluminium reel fittings, bridge rings with porcelain tip on spinning top, in bag. 122 shillings and 6 pence inc. Purchase Tax."

There are photos of the later rod on this site ...

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... ksRods.asp
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Just my opinion ... but 'combination' rods will always be a compromise ... like I'm really just a compromise between Cary Grant and Hugh Grant (in my dreams !!! :Hahaha: ) Anyone mentioning Russell Grant will be severely chastised !!! :Hahaha:

In my opinion ... a nicely restored example of the later 'Combination' may not be everyone's choice, but would be certainly an interesting and useful thing to have in the rod rack.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Your last paragraph is spot on Mal. :Hat:

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

Thanks for the comments chaps...
I will make this my next project, although I don't know if it will see much action on the riverbank as the when I put it together the action feels a little heavy for me, but it may be better with a reel on it, we'll see :-)

From the pics I've seen I assume that the whipping should be red would that be correct?
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

JockScott
Minnow

Post by JockScott »

I have one too.... Mine has the the two fibreglass tops. The flaming is original.
I have been meaning to tidy mine up for years but I never got aroundtuit !!!

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”