Allcocks combination on ebay

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks combination on ebay

Post by Santiago »

Paul you must be psychic, I think it will make a good landing net handle. It only came with 1 tip section and the top ring is naff.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I bought one off the bay at the start of the lockdown. Very cheap, needed new rings and one top section missing. The seller had been given it by a neighbour, the widow of the one original owner whose name remains on the Allcocks card label enclosed in a see through plastic wallet attached to the bag. The accompanying glass top section for the 11' float rod was a little on the light side but I had a slightly heavier one in my stock that gives a much better action. The handle 19" is a little too short for good balance so the rod feels a bit top heavy but it's appearance is everything I associate with the period when I began fishing. Coupled with an old Strikeright pin I have used it a few times lately and enjoyed it immensely. Lots of little Rudd, a pound Perch and a few Tench to 2/1/2lb in my first couple of crack of dawn sessions.

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

Hi I have just purchased three rods from ebay one is a Allcocks Combination but I only have four sections, three bamboo and one solid fibreglass to make a total length of 3.4m or 11ft. Its a bit strange because the third section is a good foot shorter than the others but it fits together nicely. There is also fibreglass spinning rod made by Major rod made in Canada. Does anyone know anything about this company. Many thanks John.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

I am now entirely, completely perplexed. All in the light of Mark's post of earlier today:

viewtopic.php?t=38490

Note Mark's point 5.

Mike

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Barbelbonce wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:22 pm I am now entirely, completely perplexed. All in the light of Mark's post of earlier today:

viewtopic.php?t=38490

Note Mark's point 5.

Mike
My initial post was when such posts were permitted . Obviously things have changed since then over 10 years plus!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Barbelbonce wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:22 pm I am now entirely, completely perplexed. All in the light of Mark's post of earlier today:

viewtopic.php?t=38490

Note Mark's point 5.

Mike
Mike, I take it you are pointing a finger at splitcaner?
He is new to the TFF, and although mentioning he has made an eBay purchase, he wants some info on the Canadian rod in the said lot, I am sure that is not against forum rules in this instance?

Let's hope someone can help with the info he wants.

Welcome to the forum splitcaner, keep posting and enjoy👍

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

When I was a lad and skint Bennetts of Sheffield were selling combination rods... I wanted one, but couldn't scrape up the funds from my meagre wages... were they any good? or just a gimmick in their day...? I'd wager not brilliant, if I were a betting man (which I'm not)
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I have moved Splitcaner's post to a new thread and locked this thread, like Santiago said this thread was originally post way before Ebay discussions were banned. :Hat:

For those of you who are wondering why please see this link Ebay
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”