Allcocks Wizard

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Allcocks Wizard

Post by Ljm183 »

Does anyone know if Allcocks ever fitted a Super Wizard cloth badge on their rod bags ?

Iv seen the usual Makers badge fitted but not a Model Badge.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Snufkin wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:53 pm Hi, I've just bought a Super Wizard and found this thread after looking for some information about it. It's a late model green/black oblong label version and to my untrained eye looks to be generally in good condition but probably in need of a clean and maybe some restoration. I've added a few photos to give an idea of condition - any advice or recommendations for what might need doing to restore it to working condition would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
I'd take it to a good restorer for an opinion. It's obviously been stored in wet/damp conditions which have taken their toll. The black water stains on the handle and butt section will probably not come off. The cork can be replaced fairly easily. It looks to have been restored at some point as I don't think the thread is original. It has some delamination on the middle section which will need fixing. It should be possible to get it into good useable condition, but I don't think that it will ever look pristine.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Snufkin
Stickleback

Post by Snufkin »

Thanks Sean - useful advice. It wasn't expensive so I didn't expect it to be in pristine condition, but it would be good to get it restored professionally. Any recommendations for a restorer?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Wally-Cast on this site is superb... as many on here, (myself included) will testify... he really is very good, he rebuilt my Wizard for me...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Snufkin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:09 pm Thanks Sean - useful advice. It wasn't expensive so I didn't expect it to be in pristine condition, but it would be good to get it restored professionally. Any recommendations for a restorer?
Like Harry, I’m very happy to recommend Wally’s Cast.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Me too!

Re: the Avon Perfection being floppy - mine is but great to trot with! And does bend a lot!!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

As far as I can ascertain the gold oval lable was put on after the war, probably no rods being made until 1947 and Allcock were already in trouble finding suitable cane for the butt section, being forced to go larger in diameter. The Guides spoke of post war improvements....... ;-)

I think the change to oblong pale green, white, black and gold happened in 1965. In '64 Allcock and J W young merged...at Ted Young's suggestion, both being aquired by Cope Allman, who actually already owned a big percentage of JW Young.

Malcolm Lee of Lee Products heard of the merger and fatefully asked to join too. The new company was re-branded Top Tackle and adopted the Lee colour scheme of pale green and black, with gold and white lining.

It was all short-lived.

In October 1965 Cope Allman flogged the lot to Shakespeare who also aquired the German Noris outfit. The newly-formed, UK based,Noris-Shakespeare took over Top Tackle and the redundancies started. Three years later they were all closed down.

A little before the formation of Top Tackle the Wizard seems to have been changed again, one often sees butt sections with two nodes visible, rather than just one under some thread and a brighter red shade of whippings. .....and some of the last rods sold have a brighter green transfer and the Wallis name back on them. Just a few now have 20 inch cork handles and I've seen two with shive cork, not cork sheet covered wood. Special orders, perhaps? These very last rods seem to have had a whipping colour change too,.....more orangey. In the very last Allcock trade catalogue and the Angler's Guide both from 1969 only the 'Super Wizard' is listed. Shakespeare offered a catalogue too in 1969 and there are cane Allcock rods being sold off cheap.

I don't personally beleive the story that Hardy made Allcock take the Wallis name off their rod post-war as the Wallis Wizard seems to pre-date any Hardy rods using Wallis' name, with Allock Guide references indicating the rod being available as early as 1931.

I don't believe Allcock ever made a Wizard with a black transfer either.

I'm not sure when tenoned ferrule counters were dropped, but think it is probably early Fifties.

There's a bit more detail on my blog about the firms mergers and closures:

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2015 ... t-the-end/

Mark_Jenkins
Stickleback

Post by Mark_Jenkins »

Hi all, what is the difference between an allcocks wizard and a Wallace wizard if any? I have a hardy wizard that I am very fond of so want to try the Wallace version but want to buy the right rod.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Are you talking about the rare green stained wallis wizard from the early 1930's this rod was attributed to FWK Wallis, these are reputed to be the best wizard Allcocks ever produced, a good one will fetch around £1k.

A superb roach float rod by all accounts.

The Wallis name was dropped by 1932, and the wizard and later super wizard were the models, they vary from rod to rod, i have handled wizards that are really sofy and all through, you would panic hooking a large chub, i have owned lovely steely wizards, which have subdued substantial barbel, thats a great thing about can rods no 2 are the same.

FWK Wallis then put his name to a range of Hardy rods from 1932, the FWK Wallis Avon & Allrounder, these are superb allround general rods, the cane on these early pre WWII is the best you will find.

After WWII, Hardy seemed to drop the fwk, and just called them Wallis Avon, then in the 50's just Avon, the later rods too the cane was not as well selected as the earlier rods.

I then understand Allcocks labeled a rod Wallis Wizard in the 1960's, maybe this was a tribute, the butt is much thicker than the ealier rods.

I may not have this fully correct, others may want to add.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Pau the Wallis name was dropped from the rods post war, I believe, but not from the Allcock's Guide, so I never believed the 'urban myth' that Hardy made Allcocks drop his name. They continued to mention his name in all The guides and did indeed put his name back on the rod in about 1965 when the merger with Young and Lee happened.

I'm not aware of any Hardy rod branded a Wizard. Anyone?

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”