Post by Tengisgol »

I’ve just acquired one!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Allcocks Wizard

Post by Tengisgol »

Does anyone have an idea as to when this was made please?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Hi Phil... Mine was dated early to mid 60's... it looks the same as yours... I found it a little unbalanced due to the short butt until Wal supplied one of his butt extenders... it makes the rod much more manageable... if you want to try mine out you are very welcome
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

So when did the change from "Gold" label to the later "Black/Green" label take place please?

Or was it phased in for the different models - Wizard & Super Wizard?

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

I would think the green & black label was introduced sometime during 1965 when Allcocks mergered with Lee & Young
I understand the brass reel fittings etc were fitted to around 1958 when alloy fittings replaced them.
As a rule the earlier Wizards have a slimmer cane butt section than later models
The cork on the butt itself also changed as the Wizard progressed.
John

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Harry wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:55 pm Hi Phil... Mine was dated early to mid 60's... it looks the same as yours... I found it a little unbalanced due to the short butt until Wal supplied one of his butt extenders... it makes the rod much more manageable... if you want to try mine out you are very welcome
Thanks Harry - I’ve got some bolts the right thread and loads of old butts so I’ll try knocking something up. Rod needs a re-whip in any case so it will probably be at least January till it’s ready. I am going to have quite a range of eleven or so footers. This one seems like a nice steady action, getting a bit all through, when compared to the Aspindale and Edgar Sealey rods I have.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Three older Allcocks Wallis Wizards and a Hardy Wallis Avon
The second rod from the right has a 19" hardwood handle. Allcocks did make a rare 19" handle Wizard.
The two Wizards on the left are later 1930's models with full agate rings throughout.
Hardy Wallis Avon is on the right.
IMG_20191006_134426.jpg
IMG_20191006_134804.jpg
IMG_20191006_134729.jpg
IMG_20191006_134817.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Impressive & informative!

Snufkin
Stickleback

Post by Snufkin »

Hi, I've just bought a Super Wizard and found this thread after looking for some information about it. It's a late model green/black oblong label version and to my untrained eye looks to be generally in good condition but probably in need of a clean and maybe some restoration. I've added a few photos to give an idea of condition - any advice or recommendations for what might need doing to restore it to working condition would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A lot of cane rods feel floppy but are lovely in action. A B James Avon Perfection for example feels saggy and dead but in use they are as the name suggests.
The earlier Wizards were more of a true Avon design and the Hardy Wallis Avon is a country mile different to the later Allcocks rods but the Allcocks rods have a more powerful action and will handle heavier lines. Its probably the short handle that gives them more of a floppy feel.
I have extended a couple of Wizard handles to 24 inch and they do feel much better when waggled but whether they fish any better is best left for the owner to decide.

Wal.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”