FJ Taylor Roach Rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Hugo Curgudgeon

Re: FJ Taylor Roach Rod

Post by Hugo Curgudgeon »

Ian Tucker delivered the rod yesterday. He has done a magnificent job and the rod has a marvellous action.

Regards,

Hugo

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Wishing you many " days that live " with your new rod HC

Hugo Curgudgeon

Thank you kind sir!

Here it is......

https://twitter.com/CustomMadeRods

Regards,

Hugo

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I hope you have many happy years of use with it :Thumb:

Hugo Curgudgeon

Thank you kind sir! The rod is an absolute delight.

Regards,

Hugo

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Greenturahas picked up from one of my posts that I have recently acquired a Chapmans F.J.Taylor Roach Rod which was one of those rods I looked at longingly from the wrong side of misted Fishing Tackle Shop windows in Birmingham in the 1960s when I would cycle from shop to shop just to look at the offerings displayed in the windows amongst the bodies of many dead flies.

Anyway it was on the list of 'I would like one of those' and I spotted that a dealer had one available albeit at dealers prices but I am OK with that especially as I had been asked to undertake the preparation of a complex specification document for a Client where the fees were good on the basis that the time frame was short and thus the daily hours long.

The FJT would therefore be a present to myself as without such a present the job would have been turned down especially as it coincided with the beginning of the season which I still perceive as 16 June.

I have heard rumours that this rod was a Yates favourite Barbel rod and others have said you need to be careful with it as it has a very fine and sensitive tip which once it gets into the bottom section becomes a far beefier piece of hollow built cane.

I have taken the FJT out twice now - blanking on the first trip but yesterday landing a reasonable carp and a couple of fine tench.

It is now that I notice that what appeared to be a good straight rod now comes with two straight sections.The first to the female ferrule and the second above the female ferrule. It looks as though the cane and ferrules are not securely fixed to each other which has allowed a dog leg to appear directly at the ferrule.

Whilst with the rings lining through the change is around 2 inches of droop between the ferrules and the tip ring when I turn the top section through 180 degrees the tip points skyward by around 2 inches. Some waggling can return the cane to the correct alignment but clearly this needs attention.

The dealer told me that the rod had been restored by a person of good reputation known to this Forum so I could refer the matter directly back to him or the dealer a decision I must make this week as it really needs a far better flight testing than it has received so far. Of course I could ask Chapmans to have a look at it and driving to Ware would not be too onerous as they did a job on a Carp 550 for me years ago which has proven to be excellent.

However, it just occurs to me has anyone else had a ferrule problem with an FJT as I did notice the depth of the male ferrule seemed a little short such that the female socket would not be filled even with the male ferrule fully home which my rod achieves.

As a matter of interest I discovered that the Peter Stone Legerstrike top fits the FJT lower section. That just made me think as I am sure I read somewhere that the FJT rod involved FJT wandering around Chapmans trying this and that till he found what he wanted!

Anyway I will get this sorted out and I look forward to many happy outings with a rod named after one of my boyhood fishing heros.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Allcocks Carp/Avon, Peter Stone Ledgerstrike and now a FJT Roach - You really do know how to make a man feel pangs of the green man Keith :mrgreen:

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

Nice rod; glad you joined us! Bob

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Dave Burr wrote:Allcocks Carp/Avon, Peter Stone Ledgerstrike and now a FJT Roach - You really do know how to make a man feel pangs of the green man Keith :mrgreen:
And it will be my pleasure to let you use any of them - I am having a big burn up working before I retire because when I do retire that will be it.

Anyway still some months away before the Carp / Avon is restored and the FJT needs some attention. I just thank goodness I don't have a cupboard full of unusable rods as I would go crazy - apparantly that is not a pre-requisite for craziness.

The Carp /Avon has been standing up in the Lounge now for nearly 12 months and I cannot wait to get out on the water with it.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Well further inspection of the FJT seems to reveal the female ferrule is loose and has the tendency to take on a mildly whacky angle to the cane so a quick phone call to Chapmans and they will be having a look at it for me next week. Of course I could post it to them but NO I couldn't do that - too much risk - so it will be a day off work and a drive to Ware for some proper old fashioned service and indeed it will be a pleasure.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”