the purists won't like it

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

the purists won't like it

Post by Gilbert »

............But i have recently aquired a 500 in good basic condition that i will rebuild . no real faults unless you call a bit of black stain a fault . it is straight and true with a bit of steel in the spine . the only small problem was that the handle had "blown" . the ally butt has got wet - probably quite often , and the water caused the ally to oxidise and expand producing swelling in the cork. so much so the reel bands were stuck fast . i rubbed it down and all is well and i will fill the holes in the cork with pit paste to stop a recurrence. is this a common thing ?
anyway , 500s are not a rare thing , so i don't feel bad about making some changes. the lack of rings is to me a bit of a concern and i would like more (don't we all)? .....and i like the Stoney ledgerstrike . -- but not the 28" handle -- so the plan is a Ledgerstrike 8 ring pattern , probably to my own settings to bring the tip more in to play , and the LS intermediate wrap pattern , more fussy , but it will look nice so why not ? i do a lot of swingtipping and the 24" handle is what you need for tipping - in fact if i had a ledgerstrike i would be likely to shorten the handle!
both the LS and the 500 are 1lb test although this rod feels as if it will pull more , but the end result will i think be the rod Chapmans should have made , but never did.
it will have green ring wraps , a small gap , then black tippet , another small gap followed by a burgundy tippet and then the burgundy for the intermediates - a bit like some Hardy rods . i will use CP so the colours will stay true .
it sounds good to me - any thoughts ??
pics to follow when the job is done

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: the purists won't like it

Post by Catfish.017 »

My first refurb of a cane rod was a 500. I too went the fancy whipping route but after a year or two I had a change of heart and put it back as it would have looked as new but with one extra ring which is quite sufficient. The cane is quite clean on mine which helps with the lack of inters.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Catfish.017 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:10 pm My first refurb of a cane rod was a 500. I too went the fancy whipping route but after a year or two I had a change of heart and put it back as it would have looked as new but with one extra ring which is quite sufficient. The cane is quite clean on mine which helps with the lack of inters.
the intermediates are going on simply to keep the spirit of the Ledgerstrike . it wouldn't be right without .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Never mind purists it's your rod so build it as you like. I rebuilt my 500s and 550s with modern braid friendly guides with gold coloured inserts in gunmetal frames. Far from 'correct' but eminently practical. I was recently recently persuaded to selk them on to someone else who likes to use braid in certain circumstances. I got top dollar for them so not everyone is wrapped up in originality. I like any combination of tackle that fits the situation required.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Olly wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:24 pm https://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=431

Found your spec.
yep , that's it although my handle will be shorter . i will probably pack the top 3 or 4 rings a little tighter and have the butt ring further from the reel to avoid bunching at the 1st ring . it should be a 25mm agate but there are none to be had - not easily anyway . it will probably be a 17mm . i may end up with 7 rings rather than 8 . i will see how it looks - probably tape them and put a line on to see how it looks .

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Liphook wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:50 pm Never mind purists it's your rod so build it as you like. I rebuilt my 500s and 550s with modern braid friendly guides with gold coloured inserts in gunmetal frames. Far from 'correct' but eminently practical. I was recently recently persuaded to selk them on to someone else who likes to use braid in certain circumstances. I got top dollar for them so not everyone is wrapped up in originality. I like any combination of tackle that fits the situation required.
Pac Bay Minima 3s ?
I've used them on several carp rods made from that new fangled black stuff . look great with gold underwraps and tippets although that wouldn't suit cane.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'm no fan of the minimas - cheap for a reason and have the 10 and 12 intermediates groove quickly. Sold to me as American Tackle but stamped PB so made by PacBay

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Gilbert wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:58 pm ............But i have recently aquired a 500 in good basic condition that i will rebuild . no real faults unless you call a bit of black stain a fault . it is straight and true with a bit of steel in the spine . the only small problem was that the handle had "blown" . the ally butt has got wet - probably quite often , and the water caused the ally to oxidise and expand producing swelling in the cork. so much so the reel bands were stuck fast . i rubbed it down and all is well and i will fill the holes in the cork with pit paste to stop a recurrence. is this a common thing ?
anyway , 500s are not a rare thing , so i don't feel bad about making some changes. the lack of rings is to me a bit of a concern and i would like more (don't we all)? .....and i like the Stoney ledgerstrike . -- but not the 28" handle -- so the plan is a Ledgerstrike 8 ring pattern , probably to my own settings to bring the tip more in to play , and the LS intermediate wrap pattern , more fussy , but it will look nice so why not ? i do a lot of swingtipping and the 24" handle is what you need for tipping - in fact if i had a ledgerstrike i would be likely to shorten the handle!
both the LS and the 500 are 1lb test although this rod feels as if it will pull more , but the end result will i think be the rod Chapmans should have made , but never did.
it will have green ring wraps , a small gap , then black tippet , another small gap followed by a burgundy tippet and then the burgundy for the intermediates - a bit like some Hardy rods . i will use CP so the colours will stay true .
it sounds good to me - any thoughts ??
pics to follow when the job is done
I love these rods and this is what I did with the last couple I had. One had just your problems.
https://traditionalfisherman.com/viewto ... 00#p370930
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Liphook wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:38 pm I'm no fan of the minimas - cheap for a reason and have the 10 and 12 intermediates groove quickly. Sold to me as American Tackle but stamped PB so made by PacBay
true , they do wear , but replacing a couple of rings every now and again is no big deal -- and they are light which i like

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”