Chapman 500 Deluxe

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Chapman 500 Deluxe

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I recently completed refurbishing a 500 to Deluxe spec. No fancy whippings or intermediates and bridge rings whipped with a conventional wine coloured thread. I just wanted this general purpose avon rod to look as it would have done when it left the factory.
Image I know this rod has a big following with cane enthusiasts and it is easy to understand why. I wondered how many were originally manufactured and how many survive today. It must have been one of the most popular rods of its time.
It's well designed, well built and the cane seems to be high quality. I like the 2 piece with separate handle configuration and a sensible handle length gives the rod a balanced feel when held. I really can't fault any aspect of it, its a true classic.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Re: Chapman 500 Deluxe

Post by John_Moore »

Nice job Jeremy you can't better a rod that is done sympathetically and to the original spec.
I don't know how many they made at Chapman's but I got hold of a 500 deluxe over 20 years ago it had a couple of rings missing, the others are rusty except for the butt & tip, it's down to about 12th now on my list to refub rods, so eventually it will get done.
I must get round to putting the deluxe along side a standard 500 and see the difference I think the deluxe taper is slightly thicker.
Anyway I do hope you get a nice carp or barbel on one of your 500 deluxe outings.
The very best John.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I think the only difference between the 500 and the 500 de-luxe is a upgrade in ring quality, one extra ring and a divisional cloth bag. This comes from the Chapmans website, and during talks with John when I was converting my 500 to the de-luxe spec, John never mentioned differing tapers.
Hope this helps.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

A lovely looking & sympathetic build you have achieved there Jeremy - top stuff.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Thanks for the info BB most useful.
Regards John

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Jeremy, the rod looks really nice. Excellent finish.

Yes as BB has said, the De-Luxe is just slightly better equipped in the ring department and the bag had separate compartments.

The 500 really is a great rod, light in the hand, powerful enough for the specimen hunter but still forgiving enough for lighter lines. It is in my mind the John Wilson Avon rod of its era. They survive in great numbers due to the build quality and of course because there were so many made. It shows how popular it was when other makers had to copy it.

Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:00 am Well done Jeremy, the rod looks really nice. Excellent finish.

Yes as BB has said, the De-Luxe is just slightly better equipped in the ring department and the bag had separate compartments.

The 500 really is a great rod, light in the hand, powerful enough for the specimen hunter but still forgiving enough for lighter lines. It is in my mind the John Wilson Avon rod of its era. They survive in great numbers due to the build quality and of course because there were so many made. It shows how popular it was when other makers had to copy it.

Wal.
That's the perfect analogy Wal, "The John Wilson rod of its era" I think you've hit the nail on the head mate! 🔨

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Very nice indeed :Hat: If I could have only one rod, it would be a 500.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Crucian "have only one rod" :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: I could go on....

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Crucian wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 am Very nice indeed :Hat: If I could have only one rod, it would be a 500.
I think this is a sentiment shared by many.....so if you could only have one rod could you have six 500's :eyebrow:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”