Chapman 500 Deluxe

The Chapmans Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Chapman 500 Deluxe

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Crucian wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 am Very nice indeed :Hat: If I could have only one rod, it would be a 500.
I am in complete agreement sir.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

A beautiful refurb and it is a rod I am sure you will enjoy using. I took possession of a 500 just before lockdown with the intention of refurbing it. However, before thinking about that, I wanted to give it a few outings to make sure it had no issues to deal with. Having now been able to do so, I must say that the rod is all, and more, than I expected - it handles superbly. On the second of the two outings I have had with it, I unexpectedly hooked and landed a Mirror of around 10 -12lb and the 500 handled it with superlative ease (particularly as I was using 4.4lb. mainline and a 3.8lb. hooklink!). As much as I want to start the refurb. I have now decided to hang fire until later in the year so I can use it often during the Summer/Autumn period. It really is a delightful rod. Ironically, I also have a John Wilson Avon rod and can only agree with Wallys-Casts' comparison of the two - they have both become my favourite rods. Cheers, John

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Jeremy, I have to say that is a superb refurb! You have done it again clever fella!! I have to agree with all the guys who have praised the 500. It is such a versatile rod and is a delight in the hand.

kevin55
Minnow

Post by kevin55 »

Does anyone have 1 of these for sale,ideally in this sort of condition? The dealers have a few but the prices seem to be exhorbitant

Collection is possible within 50-60 miles of NW London (getting out without my wife being the aim)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think in excellent condition they are not cheap! But some are charging "extra" as they have become more popular.
I have a couple restored to De Luxe by Paul Cook.

Buy one complete and restore to your liking - you wont sell it after that!

Neither of those on that auction site are original - view Chapman's details - somewhere on this Forum.

kevin55
Minnow

Post by kevin55 »

Thanks Olly, I won't be bidding on that site

I haven't got the patience or skill to restore; I last whipped an eye on a rod over 20 years ago when I broke the tip (lost 2") on the cane rod I built as a kit when I was 12/13 over 50 years ago

Harvey Torbett rods (I'd never heard of until today) also look similar, that is 2 piece with detachable butt, easier to put in the boot

It would be nice to source one from this site

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Wal on here does an excellent restoration - many of the Members here have used his services inc me. Only good things to say about his work.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

proper job!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

A lovely job on a great rod... Nicely done Sir... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories