Not a Chapmans rod.

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

Not a Chapmans rod.

Post by Fredline »

I bought this rod recently for the Chapmans rod bag. The rod inside is a punchy 2 piece 10' glass carp or pike rod with agate lined rings that had been shrink wrapped. It should be 10' but unusually 8" has been chopped from the bottom of the handle. It intrigued me as to why someone would chop off the bottom 8". This is what I found underneath the corks, the glass blank has been spliced onto a built cane handle former. Has anyone seen that configuration before or have any idea as to the maker? John Chapman has said it is not one of theirs.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Not a Chapmans rod.

Post by Lea Dweller »

I am surprised you don't know John, it is almost certainly from Bob Southwell! :Scared:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have a very similar 10ft Mk IV glass rod to yours Fredline, same coloured glass, same weave, exactly the same ferrules, but possibly a bit slimmer. It has a bit of steel tube right at the end of the butt section, but I cannot tell if it goes into glass or a wooden butt piece as it is underneath the cork and I dont want to mess with it as it is fine.
The rod in fact has a very nice action , maybe the steel section was inserted as a counter balance ?

I have asked around but nobody really has a clue as to the identity .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:43 am I am surprised you don't know John, it is almost certainly from Bob Southwell! :Scared:
Of course Ted, how could I have missed it, a Southwell glass blank and Kenny Kendal fittings. Solved.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have seen loads of glass rods with alloy tubes under the handle cork and a few with whole cane under the handle cork but built cane is a new one on me.

John, I think yours is probably a Kenny Southwell prototype.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:28 am I have seen loads of glass rods with alloy tubes under the handle cork and a few with whole cane under the handle cork but built cane is a new one on me.

John, I think yours is probably a Kenny Southwell prototype.

Wal.
Well done Wal, I thought exactly the same, good job some of us are clued up! :Hahaha:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Looking at the tip ring and the shrink-tube - it is homemade bitsa! The tip ring possibly coming from the split cane rod!

I had a pike rod where the hollow alloy tube for the handle bent through 90 deg casting a mackerel lump! Cane won't do that.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

For a home made "bitsa" they did not scrimp on the fittings. I sold the rings for£50. They were quality.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Fredline wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:32 pm For a home made "bitsa" they did not scrimp on the fittings. I sold the rings for£50. They were quality.
Evidently Southwell/Kendal rod rings were made by appointment to the Queen's jeweller! :Chuckle:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Would the bag take a 500..... and if so is it for sale? :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”