Re: Peter Stone ledgerstrike

Post by Bumble »

Well done Pershoreharrier you will love that rod
Bumble

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

PershoreHarrier wrote:My thanks goes to Dave Burr who pointed out to me a Peter Stone Ledgerstrike for sale and having met the seller on Friday last a mutually agreeable deal was done and I now find myself the very proud owner of one of these fine rods.

I will try and post a couple of photos later in the week once I have mastered my new digital camera complete with its 30 pages of instructions!!!.

The Ledgerstrike I have acquired varies from Mark's in that I believe it is a late one with black whippings to the rings, the butt ring is agate lined and tip ring is I think white porcelain lined. There are no intermediate ties, the reel bands are black and the cork handle has no butt rubber but is finished with a flared corking as per my Chapmans 550.

My Ledgerstrike is completed with a rubber type ferrule stopper similar to those provided by Chapmans when they restored my 550 and the green rod bag with Chapmans logo.
Nice one PershoreHarrier. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Mark wrote:I would like to say a big thank you to Paul Cook who has been so very kind in tracking down a Chapman Peter Stone Ledgerstrike rod for me, a rod that I have dearly wanted to own for a very long time. I should take delivery this coming week and can't wait to give it a try for some local chub or whatever may happen to come along.

Well done Paul, and Mark ... enjoy. I hope to hear of many of your adventures.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote:I would like to say a big thank you to Paul Cook who has been so very kind in tracking down a Chapman Peter Stone Ledgerstrike rod for me, a rod that I have dearly wanted to own for a very long time. I should take delivery this coming week and can't wait to give it a try for some local chub or whatever may happen to come along.

Well it came today chaps and I am pleased as punch with it. I cannot wait to use it but with the state of the rivers around here and the forecast for the weekend it could be a while, might have to take it to a local pool.

Thanks again Paul for the contact. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Looks wonderful Mark, Sir. Long may it serve you well.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

:Hair out: :Hair out: :Hair out:

Only kidding Mark, looks a lovely rod
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Good luck with it Mark.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I sent Chapman’s an email with some pictures asking if they had ever produced these rods in dark brown or black whippings and also asked for a year of manufacture if possible. John replied with this email.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your enquiry. What you have is a very early Peter Stone Ledgerstrike. These rods were wrapped in black or a very dark brown which over time looked black. Difficult to tell the difference until you remove the thread. Looking at you pictures I think this rod has been re-varnished over the original finish but apart from that it all looks original. Year of manufacture may be earlier 1958-59.

Best regards,

John Chapman.
Mark (Administrator)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wonderful Mark, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thats a nice little bit of history, Well done Mark!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”