The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

Post by Greentura »

This is one of my hunters, the other two are unrestored and one needs a new tip section. This came from eBay last year and although the cane was ok and transfer complete the ferules had both been bent as if someone tried to fold it up as opposed to take apart, much of the cork had been mouse eaten, the button with it's threaded cap were missing and all the guides were rusty or missing, a sorry looking thing, i don't have before pictures, something i have not done but will try to do when i restore them myself in future. I have added the page from Chapmans website on them.

Hunters are often described as a 'bottom rod' but are a float rod capable of most things but a supreme tench and bream rod. I came across them when looking into other hollow built rods, mainly the Fred J Taylor roach rod, and decided to give one a go. This one was restored to near original spec as per the drawing and the other two i haven't decided on yet, I may use hardlon lined guides all through on one or both

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

Post by Mark »

That looks a very nice rod greentura. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Thanks Mark, just wish i could take the credit but the work was done by Mike Harris for me, it was too nice a blank for me to make a pig's ear of :wink: one of the rods mike suggested i may like knowing my like of hollow built, his other suggestions were the Fred J Taylor roach, i was lucky enough to get one of JOC's Barder restored ones that belonged to Peter Stone and have since added another two stepped modified up versions, similar to 'the bishop' and again built by Mr Harris, the other rod being the Hardy perfection roach 11' two piece hollow built, proving harder to find, got outbid on the one on the last Mullocks auction, but not by not much :hairout: plenty of time and the 'to get list' is up to 15 now, seems to gain about two a year :wink:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looks lovely, enjoy using it
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I have a 12' Hunter too, but it doesn't say "SP" on it. Is it known what "SP" stands for? I notice the Chapmans website mentions an Amwell SP, although I can't see how it differs from a standard Amwell.

Does SP perhaps mean made to SPecial order?

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I was wondering about that too, Davyr. Mine's just got Hunter written on it without the SP.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

My 12' Hunter is designated N.L. - 'new look' type with no butt cap/button - just a round cork ball end like the early 500 series rods - and no intermediate whippings. It is a fine tench and barbel rod, but a little on the heavy side for trotting.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The 'SP' denotes having butt and tip aqualites and intermediates on some rods although most have aqualites anyway. My broken tipped one has nothing but 'The Hunter' and has no intermediates but does have a button. I have seen one that was built with aqualite lowbells right through and a shorter handle, told it was one of a pair made to order for bream ledgering in 1966, that had 'the hunter bream special' in italic and was defiantly a rod to sit in the rests. I am toying with building a 15' version using the butt and mid sections of a 14' with a FJT roach top section to get the extra length and having a screw in weight to act counterbalance, I have a jerry smith rod with this system (16,18&20' different weight for each length) which can be held all day due to the balance being so good.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

greentura wrote:The 'SP' denotes having butt and tip aqualites and intermediates on some rods although most have aqualites anyway.
My "plain" Hunter does have all those! So what do we think SP stands for then -Super Posh?

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Supreme Piscator?
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”