Chapman 500....

The Chapmans Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Chapman 500....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I was perusing the old fleabay last night and came across what looks like a half decent Chapman 500, it was sat at about 40 quid, with a option to give a offer.
I was going to offer 60 quid but thought it was a big insult to offer so little for a classic, so decided to offer a hundred fully expecting to be knocked back. I was well shocked when my offer was accepted but also highly delighted to get a 500 for this price. It will be interesting to see what actual condition the rod is in. If its in decent condition I will probably just use it, but if its not in decent condition I will have two options, either try a restoration myself, or ask one of the members on here who do restorations for a price. At the end of the day I want to use the rod so I don't want it in showroom condition, just right for using. I can't wait to see the rod.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Chapman 500....

Post by MaggotDrowner »

BB,

If the rod requires it then restore it yourself. Not only will it be a great deal cheaper it will be hugely rewarding to fish with a rod you have worked on. It adds another dimension to your angling hobby too.

There is lots of help on here in old threads (including my step by step guide: http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 13&t=20798), and from members if you ask for it.

Occasionally I will buy a rod I know needs some work on purpose because I enjoy the restoration process so much!

Good luck and let us know what it is like when you get your hands on it!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Well done!

I love my 500. It is perfect for barbel, chub, mullet and a bit of light carping. Hope that you enjoy your too.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

The 500 arrived today, very well packaged and quick delivery. I was reluctant to unpack the rod straight away as I was not sure what it would be like, but after I had my tea I did open it up. It seems to be straight, I think it has the original eyes, and original bag although it is gossamer thin, so will get a new bag from JC.
It looks like the rod has had a few thick coats of varnish sometime in the past god knows how many years ago as there is varnish on some of the rings and the female ferrule is coated with varnish on the outside. The rings will need replacing as some are rusty, and none of them are lined, so I presume the 500 would have been a budget addition to the catalogue. So now I have to decide what course of action to take, and if its something I want to do myself.

Thanks
BB

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

There is another 'do-er upper' on fleabay at the moment if you feel the need for a pair.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Mole-Patrol wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm There is another 'do-er upper' on fleabay at the moment if you feel the need for a pair.
That one is a full top to bottom restoration by the look of it. I think I will stick with just the one for now.

Thanks
BB

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just a comment on the restoration done on mine by Paul Cook.

All rings renewed with one extra as found on the De-Lux version. Both butt and tip rings replaced with agate lined rings.

The original tip rings looked like those found on a fly rod!

Old varnish on the rings may be original.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Olly wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 pm Just a comment on the restoration done on mine by Paul Cook.

All rings renewed with one extra as found on the De-Lux version. Both butt and tip rings replaced with agate lined rings.

The original tip rings looked like those found on a fly rod!

Old varnish on the rings may be original.
And on the ferrule??

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

I have looked at the normal 500 and the deluxe on the Chapman website and the thought of making it into a deluxe had crossed my mind.

Thanks
BB

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think the extra ring helps with the curve when playing a fish.

Ferrules could be changed but the originals work.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”