Early 550

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

Early 550

Post by Wagtail »

On Friday, whilst having the first coffee of the morning, I was idly browsing the 'market' area of a popular social media site. There I noticed two vintage rods for sale, one of which looked interesting, especially as they were reduced from £30 to £15 for the pair. They had been on offer for a while and it was hard to tell what the were as there was only one photo, which had been taken from a distance. I live in the Midlands and the rods were collection only from the south coast, but as luck would have it the south coast was where I was heading for the weekend :Thumb:

To cut a long frustrating story of miscommunication short, the rods were eventually collected on Sunday lunchtime. One proved to be an un-named Martin James rod that has so much 'set' it will be useful for fishing around corners :Chuckle: The other, as you've guessed, is a Chapmans 550 :Thumb: Apart from a small amount of corrosion on the tip ring it is in superb condition and looks hardly used. At full length, dead straight and with the original stoppers, the whippings are green and have twisted copper wire on the lower leg of the butt guide and on the ferrule wrappings. According to the Chapman's site this makes it an early model! I'll try to post some pictures by the weekend assuming I can stop grinning about the bargain price :huray:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Early 550

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Well done Waggers!! :clap:
Look forward to seeing the pics. The 550 is a fine rod, but you already know that :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Excellent Wagtail, sounds very similar to mine, look forward to seeing it.

:Thumb:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Super find Wagtail :Hat: the 550 is a favourite of mine

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Super find Wagtail :Hat: the 550 is a favourite of mine

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done! A Chapman 550 is a fine classic rod! :Hat: :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Tonytoned wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:45 pm Excellent Wagtail, sounds very similar to mine, look forward to seeing it.

Tonytoned, I'd say they were identical :Thumb: :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Wagtail wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:53 pm
Tonytoned wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:45 pm Excellent Wagtail, sounds very similar to mine, look forward to seeing it.

Tonytoned, I'd say they were identical :Thumb: :Hat:
Had to replace all the rings, re-whip and varnish mine. But really chuffed with it, nicely balanced rod too.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

As promised some pictures of the 550, in use for the first time :Hat: I found the rod a bit floppier than expected but it coped admirably with the three carp that I caught with it that evening :Thumb:

Set up and ready to go...

Close up

First fish, 14lb+

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Nice looking rod, what a bargain!! Darker cane than mine but mine's been restored. What is the reel in the photo? Looks great with the rod :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”