Barbel

Re: Early 550

Post by Liphook »

Excellent stuff Wagtail :Thumb:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:14 pm Nice looking rod, what a bargain!! Darker cane than mine but mine's been restored. What is the reel in the photo? Looks great with the rod :Thumb:
Thanks Jeremy, it is in remarkable condition for a rod of it's age. The reel is a DAM 'Quick' that dates from the early 1950s. I have an almost identical pair (slightly different versions of the same thing) that have recently become my go-to carp reels. Their looks don't appeal to everyone but they are built like tanks,,, in fact to me they look like they were designed by the bloke who designed Panzer tanks :Chuckle:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wagtail wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:21 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:14 pm Nice looking rod, what a bargain!! Darker cane than mine but mine's been restored. What is the reel in the photo? Looks great with the rod :Thumb:
Thanks Jeremy, it is in remarkable condition for a rod of it's age. The reel is a DAM 'Quick' that dates from the early 1950s. I have an almost identical pair (slightly different versions of the same thing) that have recently become my go-to carp reels. Their looks don't appeal to everyone but they are built like tanks,,, in fact to me they look like they were designed by the bloke who designed Panzer tanks :Chuckle:
I did wonder if it was a DAM, I believe Bob has one the same? In fact Bob introduced me to DAM reels, I now have a 285 and a 220 which are fantastic reels and will no doubt last longer than me!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 pm
Wagtail wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:21 pm
I did wonder if it was a DAM, I believe Bob has one the same? In fact Bob introduced me to DAM reels, I now have a 285 and a 220 which are fantastic reels and will no doubt last longer than me!
I believe he does though I haven't seen it. There were quite a few variations over time.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

What a great capture and at a bargain price! They are still out there if you keep looking, but sadly the price of Chapman rods is going only one way.
Did anyone else see the Chapman / Mordex marriage that finished yesterday.
The two top sections of a 500 re-ferruled to fit the bottom section of a Mordex cane float rod, yours for £90.
A dolly handle section could be made up fairly easily and with a simple refurb of the 500 sections a classic from the 60s’ lives on.

Regards Tom.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

P.s
I neglected to say that it ended on a well known online auction site.

Regards Tom.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I saw that one Tom and placed an early bid but lost interest after it passed £50. I'm trying to stick to buying from TFF members from now as I have had my fingers burnt on the last few fleabay purchases - bad sets, worn ferrules and grooved rings not described etc

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”