My 'new' Chapman 500

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: My 'new' Chapman 500

Post by Ljm183 »

Danesman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:51 am Interesting to see the gold logo transfer on your rod mine has something completely different does this indicate a period of manufacture ?
Yes Danesman The Gold oval badges are on the earlier rods. The Black transfer as fitted to later rods.

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

Ok thanks for that

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Hello Ljm183 and Danesman. I hadn't noticed that the decals were different, but yes you are right, they are! John did say when he agreed to send me one that they were a job to get on in one piece. He told me the best way to try it, but it seemed quite complicated and, if I recall correctly, I involved double sided tape! I am not ready yet to try this out as I am doing another rod at the moment, so may have to contact John for a 'resfresher' when ready to do it. With regard to the decal being related to the age, I guess my 500 is early-ish 60's, whereas the Chapmans Angaloy I bought around the mid 60's has a decal reading "R Chapman & Co Ware Herts", similar to the one on Danesman's rod. I initially took it that there were different decals for different rod ranges (perhaps related to price?) and as John told me the 500 was 'built to a price' assumed that was why it had a more simple manufacturer's decal. John

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

The Chapman transfers are not difficult if you take your time, are not ham-fisted and follow the correct procedure given by John.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Thanks BB. It's the 'ham fisted' bit that worries me! I will certainly contact John again at the point I am ready to put the decal on, so that the correct procedure will be fresh in the mind. :Confused: Cheers, John

KeironCole
Stickleback

Post by KeironCole »

Hi John
There is a chap that produces ferrule stoppers made from brass and hardwood.Complimented my MK iv avon nicely.
KF Angling products online.

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Hello KC. Thanks for that, I will have a look at their site. A forum member, Bolton Bullfinch, has said that he may possibly be able to make a set for me, but if not, this hopefully will be a good contact to try. I like the sound of brass and hardwood, it gives the impression of 'old school' and quality. Cheers, John

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”