The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

The Chapmans Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: The Hunter SP 12' 3 piece

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Did Chapmans make a fiberglass hunter 1000 rod?

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Simply Perfect :Wink:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:44 pm Did Chapmans make a fiberglass hunter 1000 rod?

Thanks
BB
Yes, Early Phenolic glass with brass ferrules. A similar action and feel to the Edgar sealey 'Black Arrow' of the same time, but a more basic build. I have a couple to restore sometime. There were several other glass rods made by Chapmans, but so far only the Hunters have come my way. since my original post on the first hunter i had I've had another five, plus the glass ones, all since then I have restored myself, the last one only a few weeks ago, another 12' early version not an SP, but the previous ones were a 14' and three more 12' versions. still one of my favorite rods when gravel pit tench are the target :Thumb:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Greentura wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:23 pm
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:44 pm Did Chapmans make a fiberglass hunter 1000 rod?

Thanks
BB
Yes, Early Phenolic glass with brass ferrules. A similar action and feel to the Edgar sealey 'Black Arrow' of the same time, but a more basic build. I have a couple to restore sometime. There were several other glass rods made by Chapmans, but so far only the Hunters have come my way. since my original post on the first hunter i had I've had another five, plus the glass ones, all since then I have restored myself, the last one only a few weeks ago, another 12' early version not an SP, but the previous ones were a 14' and three more 12' versions. still one of my favorite rods when gravel pit tench are the target :Thumb:
Thanks for that sir, I will keep a eye open for one.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Great rods..the 14' is as good as my Olver's tench rods for fishing over reed etc
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Aquaerial wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am Great rods..the 14' is as good as my Olver's tench rods for fishing over reed etc
I found the addition of a brass counterweight to the 14' hunter makes it far more useable :Wink:

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Greentura wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 pm
... I am toying with building a 15' version using the butt and mid sections of a 14' with a FJT roach top section to get the extra length and having a screw in weight to act counterbalance, I have a jerry smith rod with this system (16,18&20' different weight for each length) which can be held all day due to the balance being so good.
Could that be Anglers' World Holidays Terry Smith of Sheffield and his "Scandinavian System" ?
I came across Terry many years ago when I was fishing the River Guden at Resenbro. That man could fish!
I was so impressed with his 20' rod and the ease with which he could handle it, thanks to the huge brass counterweight on the butt, I bought one when I got home.

One of my friend uses the 16' version for fishing the feeder. There you go. :Chuckle:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Yes, Terry not Jerry, is just been chatting with a friend in Holland, Jerry Weigers, about the splendid bottle of whisky he’d sent me for our TART trip to Redmire, slip of the keyboard lol. Yes the Scandinavian system, I saw it in use on Ireland at the Killykeen open in ‘95 I think, booked through Anglers world too, the feeder version was impressive but I have the float version, found on eBay many years ago. Still not got round to the 15’ Hunter conversion, but I have a spare tip ready to try, just need to make a ferrule for it rather than cannibalising they original 👍

Hyrsch
Minnow

Post by Hyrsch »

Hi to you all,

I have got a little question concerning a hunter 3 piece rod that was offered to me.
The rod seems to be in a very good condition and the seller is stating that the rod was refurbished by Paul Cook.
Is there anyway for me to find out if the latter is true?
Should any supporting paperwork exist or is this not how it’s done by someone like Paul Cook?

The seller said I could contact Paul Cook asking for his name and the rod?

Is this really the only way to find out?

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Kind Regards
Lars
To fish is to live, it’s as simple as that!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Hyrsch wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:49 pm Hi to you all,

I have got a little question concerning a hunter 3 piece rod that was offered to me.
The rod seems to be in a very good condition and the seller is stating that the rod was refurbished by Paul Cook.
Is there anyway for me to find out if the latter is true?
Should any supporting paperwork exist or is this not how it’s done by someone like Paul Cook?

The seller said I could contact Paul Cook asking for his name and the rod?

Is this really the only way to find out?

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Kind Regards
Lars
It’s the most direct route certainly and Paul would most definitely know if he did the refurb.👍
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”