Sowerbutts "avocet" ???????.

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Sowerbutts "avocet" ???????.

Post by Santiago »

How long is the cork handle on the avocets?? I have a mystery avon with a whole cane butt that looks just like that one, especially the handle, but mine only cost £40!! And the handle is 27".
Last edited by Santiago on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Bigfish do you have any photos I will check my avocet tonight and let you know.
Bumble

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cane-splitcan ... true&rt=nc

It's this one!

Covered here!! viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10302

In addition to what's mentioned there the handle looks old and original suggesting it's not a conversion etc.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

I watched the Avocet on E bay run from £47 to the final scramble at the end with the final price £1,171 could not see any Sowerbutts marking on the handle the only by what i could see was indian ink marking plus the Sowerbutts name on the bag which may or may not go with the rod . The man must have a very large bank balance .
With reference to the original question T H Sowerbutts of London E1 did make an Avocet rod 11'3" many years ago with whole cane bottom section with the next two being split cane but they are very rare .
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I see it's shot 250 miles across the country to Borehamwood now........is that a new advert Lee, I'm not familiar with Gumtree?

Bit confused why you would even use Gumtree to sell a rod frankly.

I do know a rod seller who lives quite near to Borehamwood though....

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Nobby wrote:I see it's shot 250 miles across the country to Borehamwood now........is that a new advert Lee, I'm not familiar with Gumtree?

Maybe because its free no fees whatsoever ?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:I see it's shot 250 miles across the country to Borehamwood now........is that a new advert Lee, I'm not familiar with Gumtree?

I sent the seller an email asking a few questions and got this reply

" If you don't mind I would prefer to communicate via e-mail:�dalele007@gmail.com as i am able to answer from my iPhone. This way it would�speed�up the whole process.
Cheers
Dale Hart "

Iv done a bit of research and the seller also has a canoe for sale on Gumtree that also sold on ebay a week ago He also tell,s people he,s in the Royal Air Force based in Ireland.

Iv just replied to his email and im waiting for a reply, hope he gets back to me quick :Wink:

Here,s my reply.

" As you have already returned my email using Gumtree i would rather answer though them.
Or as your a flight sergeant in the Royal Air Force maybe you could fly across the Irish sea and we can talk face to face, or if you want you could paddle across in the We-no-nah Prospector 15 Canadian Canoe that you also have for sale and il buy that as well, i could use it while fishing with my new Sowerbutts fishing rod that you have for sale.
So if you could deliver both to me i will give you the full asking price in cash.

Get back to me asap as the canoe im using at the moment has a hole in it and as im currently in the middle of the English Channel im getting a bit worried i wont make it back to dry land. Forgot to say iv just dropped my fishing rod in the channel and wont be able to catch my dinner for today.

If your not going to answer my email can you please phone the coast guard

Regards.

Lee."
Last edited by Ljm183 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Forgive my ignorance chaps but am i missing something really obvious, how do we know its.not a genuine seller...
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Ljm183 wrote:

I sent the seller an email asking a few questions and got this reply

" If you don't mind I would prefer to communicate via e-mail:�dalele007@gmail.com as i am able to answer from my iPhone. This way it would�speed�up the whole process.
Cheers
Dale Hart "

Iv done a bit of research and the seller also has a canoe for sale on Gumtree that also sold on ebay a week ago He also tell people he,s in the Royal Air Force based in Ireland.

Iv just replied to his email and im waiting for a reply, hope he gets back to me quick :Wink:

Here,s my reply.

" As you have already returned my email using Gumtree i would rather answer though them.
Or as your a flight sergeant in the Royal Air Force maybe you could fly across the Irish sea and we can talk face to face, or if you want you could paddle across in the We-no-nah Prospector 15 Canadian Canoe that you also have for sale and il buy that as well, i could use it while fishing with my new Sowerbutts fishing rod that you have for sale.
So if you could delver both to me i will give you the full asking price in cash.

Get back to me asap as the canoe im using at the moment has a hole in it and as im currently in the middle of the English Channel im getting a bit worried i wont make it back to dry land. Forgot to say iv just dropped my fishing rod in the channel and wont be able to catch my dinner for today.

If your not going to answer my email can you please phone the coast guard

Regards.

Lee."

:Chuckle: :Chuckle: Superb riposte Lee . I bet the scroat doesn't have the cahones to reply to you ... Wonder where the rod will turn up next for sale??. Indeed , is it a genuine Sowerbutts or a gerrymandered facsimilie???

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”