E. L. Sowerbutts 20ft. London Roach Pole.

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

E. L. Sowerbutts 20ft. London Roach Pole.

Post by AshbyCut »

E. L. Sowerbutts was the last in the familial line of superb London Roach pole makers ... and when the chance arose to become custodian of one (so close to my birthday) a deal was done !!!

Winging it's way to me is this fine example of the 5 piece pole, with an additional tip, bearing not only the maker's transfer but also the inscription of the Walthamstowe location on the butt cap. (As E. L. first set up on his own in Chingford, and moved to Walthamstowe ... I am allowing myself the fantasy that this pole was made in 1951, the year of my birth ! :Wink: )

The second section has two 'hooks' to facilitate the use of the 'reservoir,' which makes changes of depth easily coped with.

With my decision to concentrate my efforts in the coming new season to a certain swim on the Ashby Cut, which measures only 18ft. wide either side of a bridge ... with overhanging bushes on the far bank ... the 20ft. pole would seem tailor made for a new experience in my angling life !!! (I will also be making use of cane and pin ... naturally !!!)

The end of my isolation ... a new experience, and so many things to learn ... a step back of almost 60 years to when I first fished the Ashby Cut ... a whole new challenge !!! What better way could there be for me to return to the bank !!!

Image Image Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: E. L. Sowerbutts 20ft. London Roach Pole.

Post by TrentFisher »

Hello Mal,

very nice indeed and great adventures to look forward too.

I have plans for certain swims on the Trent but with my fibreglass pole in June...fingers crossed.

Take care
Nige.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Very nice indeed AC best you get the dumbells out and start training in preparation for the new season :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I can taste your enthusiasm Mal, I am the same when it comes to poles.
I hope you use as it, keep us informed please.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

That's a fine looking pole. I hope you are successful on the cut!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

That is a thing of beauty. One day there will be two of these in action on the Ashby, (I can but dream). They are waiting for you, this one wasn't on a Sowerbutts pole but it was my first on a Sowerbutts rod. I bet you can't wait to get down there and give it a try. Image
have fun,
eric
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

All the best with it and a very happy birthday when it comes around AC :Hat: I looked hard but couldn't make out the line hooks? There must be a few hundred yards of thread involved with those intermediates!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A great acquisition in such good condition. Regular weight training may be required!

Just a small clarification. Walthamstow has no 'e'. The E is part of the postcode for the area of London. - - - WALTHAMSTOW. E17

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks for your comments, everyone !!! :Hat:
Olly wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 am Just a small clarification. Walthamstow has no 'e'. The E is part of the postcode for the area of London. - - - WALTHAMSTOW. E17
You are, of course, correct Sir. Typo's are becoming more regular as I continue my journey into my dotage ... and my fingers move faster than what passes as my brain does !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:Hat: You are still a young man Sir! I am just a few years ahead, :tea: - - 75% towards a letter from the Queen this year! :Chuckle:

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”