Pole advice

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Spiderpants
Stickleback

Pole advice

Post by Spiderpants »

Good morning forum.
I’m new to the group but am already amazed by the knowledge and expertise within the W members.
I own a 16.8 foot London pole. Remarkably straight with a lovely feel and patina. When I squirted it it was in a Sowerbutts rod bag yet researching it has proven difficult as there are no markings on the pole. My questions are did Sowerbutts produce poles without brass ferrules? We’re these the early versions?. I can try to upload somebody pics but any hel most appreciated.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Pole advice

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi "Spiderpants", welcome aboard,I'm sure you have but read "Poles Apart" there is so much info within. Its out of print now but many members on this site own copies ..a loan perhaps ? Tony

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Loads of advice on here on this fascinating subject . I’m surprised to see that Poles apart out of print . One of the best books I’ve read in my fishing life and timeless

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Posting photos is best for identification. Sometimes just the whipping pattern can narrow it down and look for a shadow on the cane where a label may have once been. Label shapes can sometimes be as good a way to identify a rod or pole as the labels themselves.

Michael Nadells book "Poles Apart" is a must have for anyone interested in cane poles. Definitely the best book I have ever read on vintage poles and pole fishing.

Wal.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Stefan, :oops: I do apologize . I thought the limited run had finished especially as the once owned market prices rise. A wonderful read even for the non pole enthusiast .Regards Tony

Spiderpants
Stickleback

Post by Spiderpants »

Hi
Ive been informed that this is not a Sowerbutts but I am still at a loss as to any info related this pole. I’ve put a couple of pics up. Thanks guys
F83EB467-D97A-4AAB-A141-22BB8843B157.jpeg
26158DBF-49AB-4A02-9E80-CB1591C9F983.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Spiderpants

I think what you have there in a Japanese imported pole from the 50,s/60,s

and a Sowerbutts rod bag.

Update: just had a look in my 50,s Sowerbutts Catalogue and found they sold Japanese Poles of the same design as your,s. So it could have been sold by Sowerbutts and supplied with one of their rod bags. But the Pole wouldn't have been made by them.

Spiderpants
Stickleback

Post by Spiderpants »

That’s fantastic-appreciate the info. Out of interest what is the value on such an item?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Spiderpants wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:12 pm That’s fantastic-appreciate the info. Out of interest what is the value on such an item?
Depending on condition i would say the pole is worth £15-25.

The bag is worth money on it,s own, iv seen damaged bags with good Sowerbutts badges on sell for £10.

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”