Sabina

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Sabina

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That does look early and very nice too, it certainly looks pre war. I wonder how far Dawsons go back as rod makers.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I can only speculate about that, but I'm told that Peter Dawson is still living in Chadderton Road which might put his age at about 80? Even if he were 90 it seems unlikely he would have been able to work for Marco and later set-up nearby pre-War, but who knows?

Folk did start work young in those days....

But I absolutely agree with Wal and yourself...those brass fittings look pre-war, particularly with the lower reel band having the reel foot register.

Perhaps Peter made a purchase from his old employer of some old stock?

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Reedling wrote:In amongst some rod bits I was given recently is this handle section of a Sabrina, which looks quite early to me looking at the reel fittings. I suppose these could be later additions although they seem to match the check.

That looks very interesting and as Wal says..early.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Three pictures of the bits in the bag....

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It looks as if the handle has had a couple of inches cut off and not sure the tip is original as the whipping style is different. I wonder if the rod has been used as a Salmon fly rod and the handle cut down to suit.

Still a good project rod, I think I would make a leger rod from it if the cane is sound.

Wal.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

It is a bit of a pigs ear isn't it WC, but maybe something will be done with it...one day! :roll: The main reason I put a picture on of the handle, was to do with which came first, Sabina or Sabrina, or maybe they are two separate beasts. This being a Sabrina and early, hopefully helps in some way to get nearer to an answer.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

No Answers please..The myths surrounding this rod keep it alive Reedling...when you pick up one of these you step into the mythical world of Witches and Goddesses- of Unicorns that roam the far bank and of double figure bream that patrol in small groups and are seen only at Litha and then only if you feed honeybread..
Sabina (Medium).JPG
Instantly addictive they remain the choice of the enlightened
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aquaerial on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think...and I really am by no means certain, that the Sabrina might have a whole cane butt, if not a butt and middle joint. I've certainly seen at least one...but then I can find images from this very forum of Sabrinas with a built cane butt....

Did some apprentice use the wrong transfers? Was it an error at the transfer makers??

Sabina....is both an old Roman name and used in the name of several places...as a girl's name it's popular from Italy right across to Azerbaijan ...

Sabrina, was famously a film in 1954 and is only used as a girl's name it seems. One of Bogey's few comedies:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047437/?ref_=tt_rec_tti

Perhaps Peter Dawson was a Hepburn fan? He certainly used some rum names for his rods......Dal Monte, Burley......Avalon

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

What you gentlemen have not mentioned, is a certain lady Called "Sabrina" back in the 1950's and early 60's, who was also famous for being a bit top heavy, she was "blonde", and just about every young mans dream girl. Maybe some one in the factory was enamoured of her, I know I was. http://www.goon.org/usgoons/sabrina/ (I have re read this post a number of times, and think I have managed to express my opinion in a fashion that wont offend, :Chuckle: )
Health Warning, Please ensure you are seated before clicking on the above link :Hahaha:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Kitted out with "high bells" as standard then. :Scared:

Wal.

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”