Hook lengths for surface fishing

This forum is for discussing Surface Fishing.
Bjp
Chub

Hook lengths for surface fishing

Post by Bjp »

The thing that i have always wondered about when surface fishing is the hooklength.

There seems to be many opinions on how it should sit, some say greece the line so it floats, some say sink the line, some say greece most of the line except for a few inches to the hook so that part sinks, what do you gentlemen do about this part of your set up?

Also as an extra, when i have tried on several occasions fixing my bait on terry hearn style for floater fishing i.e fixed to a hair, i have always failed to get a take but as soon as i changed over to a bait band fixing, bingo, fish on. :huray:

strange as i know it works for him but me, not a chance in hell.

regards

bjp :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Hook lengths for surface fishing

Post by Snape »

Bjp I started your question as a new thread in surface fishing as it was getting away from the original theme of the post but deserves its own thread.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

thank you Sir :Hat:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

As an all rounder, fly fishing too. I always put mud on the line except for the last two inches from the hook. Mud is cheeper than other substances used for sinking lines and is always available. It also smells natural and in my view is equally as good.

I found this method out whilst fly fishing for stockies, after noticing a rise and seeing the fish dissapear I decided that there was an issue with the trout seeing my line, after "Mudding" the line I got take after take and so have now employed it into my surface fishing for carp. I never use a hooklength whilst surface fishing as it's normally done close to reeds. I want to hit and hold the carp and keep it out of the reeds.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I never bother with anything special just simply hook on the end of line bread or pet food, cast or drop under rod tip and wait for the fireworks
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Loop Erimder wrote:I never bother with anything special just simply hook on the end of line bread or pet food, cast or drop under rod tip and wait for the fireworks
The "Mudding" method helps when there are seeds and such stuff floating on the surface, seeds just tend to silouette the line and make it easy for fish to see, it's an easy way of adding just enough weight to monofilament to get it to sit just below the surface, where fish find it harder to see. With Flourocarbon, there is no need because Flourocarbon sinks.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Surface Fishing”