Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish

This forum is for discussing Surface Fishing.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish

Post by Aitch »

I've had carp on the fly rod not not on a fly... I used a hair-rigged cork-ball and fed chum mixers, when the fish started taking the mixers I cast over them... had fish to 7lb last time out (a few years back now mind)
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

MHC

Post by MHC »

One useful tip is to learn the 'mini' single spey cast with a single handed fly rod, very useful when fishing where there is not room to back cast.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dave Burr wrote:A mate of mine has targeted barbel on the fly and has had plenty to 9lbs and I've heard of some big bream taking flies on trout reservoirs so all species can be caught though quite how long it would take to notch up a full set is a difficult one. There was another chap (probably on another forum) who was trying to get all species on them and it is certainly a worth challenge.

Dave,
The size of the bream (and all the other coarse fish) caught on flies at Grafham has to be seen to be believed, they are quite literally dustbin lids. On occasion I've seen huge bream floundering in the waves if they get caught too near the surface when the wind picks up quickly.

If I really wanted to catch a record bream, roach, perch or zander then I'd be using a fly rod at Grafham to do it. I'm fairly sure record bream have been caught already but none of the fly fishermen are that bothered about it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Firebird wrote:I wouldn't be interested in catching big bream when I'm fly fishing for trout, but on a float it's another matter. Certain methods somehow go with the fish.
Agreed FB, I've never felt the urge to fish for coarse fish on the fly other than chub when I lived in Wigan where there is a distinct lack of trout.

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

The reason why some anglers fish for coarse fish with fly is because they like a challenge.

It’s exactly the same as fly fishing for trout otherwise anglers would fish with bait or spinner which is much more effective.

Even fly fishing for trout can get too easy at times and get a bit boring.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I think fishing afloat for reservoir trout with a team of nymphs has a lot in common with roach fishing, far more so than perhaps many died-in-the-wool trout fishermen may care to admit.

There have been times when I've been trout fishing where we've found a shoal of perch and have enjoyed perhaps 45 minutes of fun with them before moving off. When your catching fin perfect perch of over 2lbs, with jewel like colouring, I always think it's fabulous to be able to do so with a fly rod since it's such a lovely way to fish.

Similarly fly fishing for pike has become far more popular because, for some at least, it's a very pleasurable way to enjoy a day out on the water.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

In many ways a fly rod is the ultimate weapon for any species. A rod that weighs just a few ounces, centre pin reel - if you can get your line onto it - and the simplest form of fishing you like. You need good watercraft, sharp eyes and reactions with many species so it is a serious challenge to catch a lot of species. But I think I'll wait until my shoulder heals before undertaking it.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I've pulled out a box of old slides to scan a few in and found this gem, two pounds plus of Irish rudd on a mayfly. Oh roll on summer!

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

That is a lovely looking fish Tengisol :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

What a gorgeous fish Phil.