Your thoughts on carp following the wind

This forum is for discussing Margin Fishing.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Your thoughts on carp following the wind

Post by Beresford »

Tomorrow I shall be fishing a pool of a little over two acres. We've had southerly winds there for some days now and they are due to continue tomorrow. Although the lake is not an estate lake created by building a dam across a stream it is a little like Redmire, but only in as much as there is a 'deep end' and 'the shallows'. The latter area is at the north end of the lake.

With the southerly wind it's pushing along the length of the lake directly into the shallows and whilst I've caught fish in that area I prefer the deeper water in the morning. However, it's in my mind to break my habit and head up to the shallows to fish in and amongst the collected surface debris.

Would that be your own inclination ie. to follow the wind, when fishing such a small pool?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Your thoughts on carp following the wind

Post by Santiago »

Depending on how cold the night was, the deep end might be a better option if cold, and the shallow end if warmer. Personally, I would opt for the deep end in the morning and hope that the undertow has brought sufficient food to the deeps to interest the fish. That said, the shallow end will warm up quicker so might be your best bet.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Follow the fish I think young Beresford....

Jim Gibbinson's book in the 70's about the effect of wind and fish has stayed with me but "follow the fish" is, to my way of thinking, always the primary rule; the two may or may not be related depending on the actual water and its residents. Perhaps take the "old 'bins" and just spend time quietly watching ... starting at the shallow end with the collected surface detritus ..... and see if there is anything moving. I think its been pretty mild over recent months so not sure that deep water and/or the contentious subject of "thermoclime" are particularly the drivers for decision making at present .......always good just to sit quietly and resist the urge to cast in ...... I saw Northern Nomad at Redmire a few months ago catching fish in the shallows there depending on where the sun was shining and the time of day and that particular period was cold, wet and driving rain with the remains of snow and ice on the surrounding fields - March ! Brutal weather !

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

It has always been a bone of contention as to how the carp move on the wind...

The general rule of thumb was if the wind is a warm one, fish into it and if it's cold then fish with the wind at your back... if the sun is out, I'd start on the shallow end, as fish being cold blooded will move onto the shallows to warm up and as they do their metabolism increases prompting feeding...

The water isn't too cold at the moment so I'd expect to find them towards the shallows.. if it's cloudy and cool, I'd fish the dam wall end... the summer has been very warm and I don't think it's been cold enough for the deeper water to cool right down so they may stay in the warmer deeper water with the shallower end being prone to larger and faster temperature changes.....

That said Carp are contrary beasts and a rule of thumb for myself is to watch the water for signs of fish and move onto them regardless of wind direction... :Hahaha: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thank you all, even more to consider. My habit has always been to find odd swims that look like nothing and where nobody else fishes or to keep away from the other carp anglers, on the basis that the carp will be keeping away from them as well.

The fish tend to be margin patrolling by habit. I tend to see a lot of fish in the shallows, where there is lots of weed but they can be very spooky up there and seem to be under constant pressure from anglers.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It’s so mild at the moment. I commented to my wife that it would be a great night to be carp fishing (last night). It just ‘felt’ right and 25 degrees on the car thermometer yesterday is a bit of a clue I guess.

I wonder how the trip went?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I went fishing yesterday for carp at Evesbatch Bottom Lake, where the carp had certainly followed the very strong winds, so much we were catching them just inches from the side at times. Most of the eleven carp I caught, however, to low double figures, were taken about one foot from the side, under a small bush. It was tricky fishing at times, facing the gusts, but necessary and worth it. Two chaps on the other bank, ledgering with bite alarms in far more comfortable conditions, managed just one modest-sized carp between them, all day... Here is my blog report and pics if anyone wants to hear more....

http://www.carpinggnome.com/197224946

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Tengisgol wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 am It’s so mild at the moment. I commented to my wife that it would be a great night to be carp fishing (last night). It just ‘felt’ right and 25 degrees on the car thermometer yesterday is a bit of a clue I guess.

I wonder how the trip went?
I got up later than I expected to only to discover rain that had set in. The forecast the night before had a very low possibility of precipitation so it was a surprise. This pool is hopeless in the rain and it puts everything into a sulk so rather than getting all my gear soaking wet for no benefit I'm now hoping to go during the week instead.

Many years ago I read in a book dedicated to carp fishing that the fish often feed well after rain, except in Essex, or at least that was the author's joke. However, that jest made me smile – it's so true.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I would choose the side furthest away from the bivvy with the mallet outside and the generator running!

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 pm I would choose the side furthest away from the bivvy with the mallet outside and the generator running!
There's some truth in that.. :Hat:

Return to “Margin Fishing”