Trotting

This forum is for discussing Long Trotting.
Tony1964

Trotting

Post by Tony1964 »

Trotting is something that I have only done once or twice and it is something that I have not done very well. I am hoping to have a go on the 5th!

Could I ask for some advice from the more experienced trotters on the forum.

I have watched many anglers trotting on tv, adjusting the line behind the float, adjusting the speed etc etc, but one area they never seem to show is how they set up their line before fishing. When fishing a stillwater, I plumb the depth and know that I am fishing bottom. When trotting, I assume that most of the time, you want the bait to be running along the bottom so plumbing the depth would seem the obvious thing to do to start with. How then do you maintain the depth on the trot as river beds vary greatly in depth along the length of a run? Is it just a case of constantly adjusting the float until you can trot through with no snags??

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Trotting

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Going by fishing the stretch we will be attending on the 5th, the idea was to have the float set under depth so that it doesn't come into contact with the bottom. The grayling were coming up in mid water taking the baits and a lot of the time you could actually see them take the hookbait. Marvelous stuff.

Now I'll hand you over to somebdy who knows a bit about trotting and the fundimentals. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Last edited by Snape on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Thats cheating!!! :tongue:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

As someone who hasn't trotted for many a year I'll be digging out my 'fisherman's handbook' and Freshwater fishing by Bernard Venables

Looking forward to it. :D
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Thanks Snape. I seem to remember SK saying that it is rather a shallow stretch of river so I was wondering whether a chubber or even a bubble float might be appropriate?

What baits are people taking? I thought maybe maggot, caster and bread flake; not at the same time obviously :P

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well I'm hoping the barbel and chub will make an appearance. I shall be taking bread, sweetcorn, luncheon meat and worms. But I do need to add a grayling or two to my catch list as I have never caught one before so I am also hoping they do like a juicy worm or two.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

When I use worm I always nip the end off to let the juices flow!

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I will be taking maggot, corn and bread, and I will be after any fish that wishes to grace my net. :chuckle:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

tony1964 wrote:I seem to remember SK saying that it is rather a shallow stretch of river so I was wondering whether a chubber or even a bubble float might be appropriate?
That'll be this one then
http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Time ... r-streams/

I'll take meat, sweetcorn, bread, worms and maybe maggots.

Return to “Long Trotting”