What exactly is laying on...

This forum is for discussing Laying On.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: What exactly is laying on...

Post by Snape »

J.T wrote:Always thought that was just a bit of artistic licence to be honest, to make it appear more dramatic. :)
I think you are right and BV would not have suggested anyone actually adopt that style.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I would love to have met and fished with him.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote:I would love to have met and fished with him.
Likewise.
I know people who spent time with him and he was certainly a character.
I just looked in his book 'freshwater fishing' and he gives clear diagrams of the angle to hold a rod at when playing a fish so I am sure his sketches were figurative.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Add me to the list, would have love to have met and fished with him. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I have recently made some 6-9 inch goose and swan quill floats and it has just occurred to me I might be able to use them for laying-on this summer. Will they be suitable for this method??

On the topic of quills, how long is considered too long to be effective; my biggest is about 9", should I make them a bit smaller??
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

You're about half-way there: Peter Drennan's Tench Perfections were 14" long, and Billy Lane made some 18" bodied peacock wagglers - "Missiles" - taking 5 swan for long-range bream fishing.

Edit: Should have added that the above are straight, peacock floats; curvy quills don't cast too well, so at close range, you would need extra length only to beat surface drift, or give extra load-carrying capacity.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I used to 'lay-on' on the Tidal Thames. Similar to the diagram above but - float was double rubber - shot was also up the line whilst some shot was on the bottom. Possibly more akin to stret-pegging as much as laying on. The float was overdepth and the line was tight from rod tip to float tip even with the float occasionally 1/2 way out of the water. Normally I fished in an eddy right on the edge of the current where it had been cast.

A running lead instead of shot near the hook and it would have been float ledgering I suppose.

Never used either in stillwater though.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Like this?

viewtopic.php?f=171&t=3057&p=39175&hili ... mes#p39175

I wonder if you're one of the chaps I learned it from?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I always thought the lead should be spread out and not in one place. The shot being swan or AAA and strung out a couple of inches between each shot starting about 12-18" from the hook, with a single BB about 4" from the hook. This way the bite registration is better because the fish only has to move a few of the shots before the float is moved by the current and one sees a bite. If all the shot is in one place like that diagram then the fish has to move the whole mass and will be spooked more easily when pulling the bait; but that way might be OK on still waters but why would anyone bother laying on, on still waters!!??

I only use this method on flowing water and then the diagram needs to show a bend in the line, and to keep the float more perpendicular I also use some shot a few feet below the float, and this also reduces the bend in the line!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well both the replies above seem to be about 'laying-on' and/or 'stret-pegging', dependent upon your view!

Shot on the bed should be replaced with a light sliding ledger weight thus minimising any resistance to the fish and giving an immediate indication on the float.

I fished the Tidal at the bottom of my road in Radnor Gardens from about 1960. Also went to Marble Hill Gardens (Hammertons Ferry), Teddington Lock (Ham/Surrey side), as well as Twickenham Embankment.

I later used it for barbel at Staines Gasworks and other hotspots (under you tip) downstream to Kew. Still have a 15ft fully ringed Lerc pole with detachable butt which was the barbel rod.

Return to “Laying On”