Wallis casting as lockdown skill

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Wallis casting as lockdown skill

Post by Dave Burr »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:37 pm I take it all back :Hahaha:

I thought that another two feet on the rod would have made all the difference, but alas, not enough. The 2.25lb tc 12 foot carp rod is too tippy to use with anything over 40 grams and resorting to a 12' 6" bass rod rated at 3oz to 5oz fared no better even with heavier weights. I was using a different reel, an Okuma Trent that has a smooth disc brake and should be perfect for the task.

I dare not swing cast in the garden. I already got a rollicking for giving a magnolia bush a glancing blow with a 30g weight, and a 20g lead broke at the swivel flying off I know not where, but not that far off where the motorhome is parked :Hide:

37 yards is my wall at the moment. I can't get further than that Wallis casting with my technique.
38 yards is what the fixed spool is for :eyebrow:

I think that with the overhead it's all about balance of tackle. The right combination plus the confidence to put some force into it and I reckon it's viable. The technique has to be spot on too. If you keep burying the lead a few yards out you are probably making the same mistake I make whenever I use a throwing stick after a lay off. But releasing a little earlier must improve the trajectory - but not to be practiced near the static van.

Thinking about it, and I've never done it over a tape measure, but I imagine I am accurate and consistent up to 15 - 20 yards. More than that plays my shoulder up and it all goes to pot but it suits most of my 'pin usage. as I said, fixed spools have their place and I am happy switching to one when needed.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

As I posted earlier; I tried releasing the lead earlier and also starting the reel as per the Wallis cast. I also tried the same two rods & reels that I use to Wallis cast plus later on, two other rods and a third reel, and each combination with different weights and types of line.

Overhead casting isn't a problem near to the motorhome. Swing casting is.

Perhaps I need to remove the tape measure?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:19 pm As I posted earlier; I tried releasing the lead earlier and also starting the reel as per the Wallis cast. I also tried the same two rods & reels that I use to Wallis cast plus later on, two other rods and a third reel, and each combination with different weights and types of line.

Overhead casting isn't a problem near to the motorhome. Swing casting is.

Perhaps I need to remove the tape measure?
Did you have the reel below or above the rod? I think it works best with it above.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It might be better if you explained exactly the technique that you used to cast a centrepin using the overhead method rather than just throw in random suggestions.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:22 am It might be better if you explained exactly the technique that you used to cast a centrepin using the overhead method rather than just throw in random suggestions.
It wasn't a random suggestion merely a question. It's a long time since I used the method but I think I was doing it with the reel 'up' like a multiplier. I'll try and circumvent lockdown and do some experiments.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

You gave the impression that you were familiar with the technique and competent at it. I take it now that this isn't the case?

The answers to most of the questions that you have asked other than the unanswerable 'reel up or down' question could be found in the account I posted yesterday afternoon. 'Reel up or down'? Surely that depends on whether the rod is pointing in front of you in the normal fishing position in which case it would be down or reversed over your shoulder in preparation to commence the overhead cast when it will be up.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Well Clive & all other Gentlemen, I spent some time yesterday and a little today practicing in the garden using a Sharpe's Avon and a Floatking, and I'm able to confirm it's bloody difficult. I'm able to get 10 yards from where I'm standing with reasonable accuracy and consistency. However, I'm struggling with pulling the line from the reel. I'll keep on practicing.
Thanks Cat.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

This is how I do it. Underarm, it's accurate but distance limiting. Note the patient and tolerant tones of the Boss :roll:

Off the side - note the line control by keeping hold of the loop from reel to butt ring - this method is fine for straight out or can be done with body swerve to reach a desired angle.

Then there's the overhead. I didn't claim to be an expert just that its a method I've utilised on occasions and do not recommend doing it with a cane rod. The trick is not to 'release' the line with your thumb, that's what causes short casts thumping into the water/lawn just in front of you. You have to start the overhead swing slowly with not tension on the spool, as it climbs behind you the forward sweep accelerates the spool and it arcs away taking line with it. I'm not saying it's easy but what casting is when you begin?

The reel I'm using in the clip has no brake so I was having to hold back the spool momentarily. I wasn't happy with the results so changed to a reel with a brake and first chuck I soared past the edge of my garden (20yards) and cleared a 10' high tree on the boarder. I called the Boss back (who'd become bored as I was swapping reels), she 'filmed' me as I performed the cast - job done. I cleared it all away and then found that she'd taken 1 second of film of me standing with the rod, then me reeling in and her walk back into the house :doh: But the clip shows the principal... Oh yes, I did overrun a tad :whistle:

This cast can be done reel up or down to suit.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks Dave...more studying this evening.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Some excellent information developing on this thread. Great videos, Clive and Dave.

My current position is that I have mostly been using an underarm cast with the reel on the side (like Dave's middle video) and with 0.5 to 1.0oz weight am hitting around 25 yds.
Today I used an 11ft stepped up carp rod with the 1oz and got to near my pb of 27 and a bit yds so thought maybe a 2 oz weight would help the distance. The problem I found was the greater inertia of the 2oz weight meant that with an underarm cast it was difficult to get it accelerating enough to hit 25 yds, so I switched to the side Wallis cast and found that if the right hand (rod holding) arm is extended and the left hand pulls the line then it flies pretty straight and I am hitting 25 yds again. It feels like with practice and confidence this method with the 2 oz weight could go much further.
Had to stop after 30 minutes as I now have an aching wrist!

The right hand extension is seen in this video and is far less likely to result in the weight flying off to the right which is more likely if just the rod tip is swung around instead of the arm being extended.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Wallis Casting”