Richard Walker, Friend or Foe?

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Richard Walker, Friend or Foe?

Post by Dave Burr »

I'm off for a night or two in my bivvy. I leave you with a conundrum, were Richard Walker to be alive today, would he embrace our 'traditional' view or would he take an alternative stance? PLease read through this wordy thread, I think it says so much about the man and it may raise a few eyebrows.

..............................................................................................................................................................................

A recent thread about the origins of the swingtip had me scanning my book collection for a reference. Mistakenly I went down the wrong track which was most likely in a Peter Stone book and referred to him and Walker working on developing quiver tips. Unfortunately this coincides with some extensive decorating and recarpetting of our bedroom which, in turn, means that my fishing room is full to the ceiling with the bedroom’s furniture and the contents of all the drawers and wardrobe. Access to certain books is out of the question without mining equipment and I never did get to Gravel Pit Angling where I believe lies the reference.

I did though make a long and dangerous reach through toppling furniture and old jigsaw puzzles and reached The Best of Dick Walker’s Course Fishing, edited by Peter Maskell. Having flicked through a few sections I was hooked and sat to rediscover the writings of the greatest angler of them all. It was an eye opener.

It’s all there. So many current discussions and debates were dealt with long before 1988 when this collection was gathered. Indeed there are articles from as early as 1954. Subject matters cover such topics as an angler’s sixth sense, angling and astrology, the nature of the waterways, the fish themselves and particularly their senses of smell and eyesight. There is speculation and successes with baits, groundbait, methods, tackle and it’s development and many more. All delivered with Walker’s direct and unequivocal stance.

Why then would he be the foe to tradition? It’s because he spent his entire angling career questioning, debunking and correcting doctrine and belief. His goal was alway progress.

For me the best passage is bullishly entitled “Here’s my reply for those who are unable to accept my points of view”. In it he lists his accomplishments to date (1983) in response to being accused of being out of touch with the average angler and advocating archaic methods of fishing. I just hope that the gentleman who proffered that remark had a tin helmet. I shall copy the article in full as it is interesting, astounding and shows little regard for tradition. After a brief introduction his reply reads...

Long Time

I’ve been fishing for a very long time, during which I’ve never met either an average angler or an expert. The longer I fish, the more I realise how much remains to be learned . But, far from being out of touch with anglers generally, I doubt if anyone answers more letters, ranging from ten year old schoolboys to university professors, barristers and other professional men, than I do.

I have long since abandoned false modesty and there’s an old saying that if you don’t blow your own trumpet, nobody else will blow it for you. So this week, I’m going to blow mine, by asking some questions. Here they come!

Who wrote the first book about stillwater fishing, with special reference to the problems of catching specimen fish?

Satisfactory

Who designed and built the first satisfactory carp rod and has been designing carp rods, in cane at first, then fibreglass, and now in carbon fibre, with calculated tapers, ever since?
Who designed the first net big enough to hold a 50lb fish yet light enough to be used with one hand?
Who invented the electric bite alarm?
Who invented the Arlesey bomb, now to be found in nearly every coarse fish anger’s tackle box?
Who devised the combination of paste and crust that produced a slow-sinking bait that would come to rest on silkweed or soft mud?
Who invented vanes, like dart flights, for float tops, visible at long range and able to make use of the wind to take a bait to the right place? These floats are now used by many pike fishers.

Invented

Who invented a type of rod rest that ensured line would not be trapped between the rod and the rest.
Who pointed out again and again, that fixed spool reels needed rotating pick-up rollers, at a time when not one production reel was so fitted?
Who campaigned for knotless keepnets, year after year, until Mr C.J. Field pioneered their commercial production, with the result that they are not only in universal use, but in most areas compulsory?
Who invented the single and double Grinner knots, superior to any other kind of knot for joining nylon line?
Who was the first to detect the ‘vibration’ bite from barbel, as different from the simple rod-bending pull, and explain how to detect it?

Who after hearing that a former colleague, Mr Leslie Phillips, at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, had invented carbon fibre, went racing down there with Jim Hardy, of Hardy Brothers, to see how this new material might be used in fishing rods? (my emphasis)

Who was the first angler in the world to catch trout on a carbon fibre rod?
Who, after experimenting with a wide variety of different ways of joining hooks in tandem trout lures, finally discovered the best and easiest, namely a treble plait of 12lb nylon monofil?

Thorough

Who made a thorough investigation of the causes of loss of strength in nylon monofil, and discovered that it is due to either the effect of ultraviolet light, bright sunshine, or to wet oxidation, or both, refuting makers claims that nylon was rot proof?
Who discovered that the cracking of PVC coatings on modern fly lines was due to loss of plasticiser, brought about by a variety of factors including heat, the use of ordinary greases or simple time in storage? Who devised a special grease to restore lost plasticiser?
Who, with the aid of expert chemist Arnold Neave, devised a dip-in liquid that would thoroughly impregnate and waterproof dry trout flies, consisting of silicone and suitable wax in a solvent and which didn’t alter the colours of the fly?

Valuable

Who, year after year, kept insisting that legering was a valuable method for the matchman, at a time when float fishing was considered the only method worth using, and predicted that the day would come when the National Championship would be won with leger - and was proved right?
Who advocated the streamlined float with a central tube to allow its use as a slider, instead of the then universal cork bung with slit and peg? And illustrated it in a book published thirty years ago?
Who, in the same book, described the running paternoster, now more commonly called the link leger - and illustrated it?
Who first described and advocated, for some conditions, the method now known as ‘freelining’?
Who first explained how modern glass or carbon fibre rods could be broken by violent efforts to make such rods flex against their own slight weight, without sufficient load, in the form of either lead or fly line on their tips?

Who explained that if you halve the thickness of a line , it becomes sixteen times more flexible, and visa versa?
Who popularised the use of betalight floats in floats and other bite indicators? Fair enough, I know Peter Wheat was the first in the field but his efforts failed because the betalights he used were too feeble by far. It was left to someone to point out that a cheap betalight float that can’t be seen beyond 5 to 7 yards is a poor buy; better to spend a few more pounds for one that you can see at thirty yards or more!
Who explained to the tackle trade that centrifugal governors on multiplier reels were the wrong way round; that instead of adding extra braking as the spool speeded up, they should add it as the spool slowed down?

I leave readers to answer these questions and to decide how many of them have the same answer!
As for archaic methods, well, fish don’t change in less than a million years. If I fail to advocate the use, for example, of a range of fifty different baits involving organic chemicals and proteins, it is because I know that carp will eat almost anything unless experience has taught them that certain baits are dangerous.

Richard Walker
26th January 1983

Richard Walker, a pivotal man in the history of million upon million anglers. But is he the friend of the traditional angler or the antipathy of that ethos?

Discuss.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Richard Walker, Friend or Foe?

Post by Pallenpool »

A fair few achievements in the list Dave - incredible really, I suspect that if Walker was alive today he would be looking back on the developments of angling whilst keeping a keen eye and ear on the future developments, and Carp angling in particular, I am sure up to a point in time he would have still been progressing, forever searching for solutions and ways of seeing and doing, I am not a 100% sure however he would be at all enamoured with the current state of affairs presented in some areas of modern angling, he did over time become a guide towards better fish care and it seems this is sadly and morally lacking in some cases today. My own outlook on Walkers as a (quote ‘friend or foe’) is unequivocally a friend, his practices, insights and valuable contributions are unprecedented, but regarding my interests this stops at the developments into carbon, and only because my interests are firmly in the 50’s and spilling over into the 60’s - and as such his tireless contribution in those decades has a huge bearing on how and why I chose to fish the way I do.
:Hat:
Last edited by Pallenpool on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

My pleasure in using traditional tackle comes in part from sentimentality, a yearning for the lost innocence of my youth.
Nothing at all to do with the effectiveness of the tackle, and how many big fish it puts on the bank.

I my reading of Walker's work, I have not detected an ounce of sentimentality, quite the opposite.

So definitely not friend. But perhaps not foe.
"Dismissive" might be nearer the mark.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Richard Walker, born 29th May 1918, he'd be 102 if he were still alive today, and at that age I don't think he'd care one iotta about traditional views versus modern!

That begs the question at what hypothetical age of Walker, are we to consider this question in relation to his possible view on the subject!?

I like to think that a younger Walker would want to innovate in ways that would make carp angling more fish friendly, whereas, an older Walker would want to retrace his joy of using cane and steady himself away from the dark side. But from the original post reading between the lines it reads like he might have been a stubborn innovator and may well have stuck with the dark side, yet still innovate pro fish friendly methods with softer rods and circle hook design etc. ext.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've not read that before but have long thought that RW would probably have moved away from carp fishing, stocked fisheries and possibly all forms of static bait fishing to concentrate mostly on lure and fly fishing. I might be completely wrong but I personally doubt that modern coarse fishing in the 2020 sense would hold much interest to him. I suspect he'd be into graphene rods, soft plastic lures etc with occasional use of tactics like crusting as a nod to the past perhaps? A friendly modernist is my answer!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I love this book, one of my favourites. I think Dick would have been a traditional angler today using modern tackle.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Mark wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:58 am I love this book, one of my favourites. I think Dick would have been a traditional angler today using modern tackle.
I agree absolutely with your comments Mark! Dick Walker spent most of his life trying to increase his chances of catching fish. In doing so, with great success, he had his critics as every successful person does. I would like to think that he would still use his 'Traditional' methods and tactics, so he would be a 'Friend' but he would use modern rods as he would understand as well as anyone the advantages that they provide! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Mark wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:58 am I love this book, one of my favourites. I think Dick would have been a traditional angler today using modern tackle.
Totally agree Mark and yes he would be using modern tackle - Walker was not one to stand still or stagnate. I never met him but his writings were an inspiration to me in my youth when I first picked up a fishing rod and his writings are still relevant today. More than a friend - in fact a very very good friend.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

He's still the Guv'nor regardless of the tackle he would be using today. Personally, I think he'd still be forging ahead with innovation. The thinking man's angler and a huge inspiration.
Russ

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Luga00 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:24 pm He's still the Guv'nor regardless of the tackle he would be using today. Personally, I think he'd still be forging ahead with innovation. The thinking man's angler and a huge inspiration.
Russ
Hear hear. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Dick Walker”